• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT-advice on ??mouth cyst U/D ?tapeworm

carolinej

Young Bun
hi. i am after some advice as even my vet doesnt seem to know what is wrong with my rabbit jasper. he has been off his food for a few days so i took him to get checked over this morning. he seemed to be in pain around the abdomen area but then she diagnosed him as having an absess in his mouth. i left him there for surgery but the vet has just rung to say it is not an absess but she doesnt know what it is! she described it as a cyst type formation containing fluid and white pieces of something and says she was able to remove it and stitch up. she said nobody there had ever seen anything like it before. he is going to the veteninary hospital overnight to be looked after and kept hydrated but i wondered - does anyone know what this could be? i am obviously very worried.

Last edited:
Is the Vet sending a tissue sample off for Histology ?

That'd be the best way to ascertain exactly what it is.

yes they are sending off a sample for histology but result will take 5 to 7 days. i am just concerned that if they dont know what it is they wont be able to treat him appropriately.

URGENT-advice on ??mouth cyst -UPDATE ?tapeworm

jasper has returned from vets this evening and they are now wondering if this was a tapeworm cyst. it was completely removed by surgery so i am now wondering what the prognosis and outcome will be? the vet wants to wait for confirmation from the histology report before any further treatment and has mentioned that the treatment for this is not licensed in the UK. does anyone have any knowledge of this?

I had all my buns treated for tapeworm, and PomandRi mentioned that their buns have also been treated with the same treatment, which was Droncit injections.

Mine had them 10 days apart.

A lot of rabbit treatments are not licensed so it comes down to hearing the risks, the pros and cons and making an educated decision.

i have taken jasper back for check up this morning. he is recovering well and eating well now. histopathology confirmed a parasitic tapeworm cyst. the vet recommended droncit injections but stated that these are not licensed for rabbits. should i agree to this treatment? has anyone used this? in what dose? thanks.

My friend had the same thing with a tapeworm in the jaw of her rabbit.
Once removed the rabbit is fine

They can treat with a tapeworm wormer but it will only kill the tapeworm and unless it's in the digestive tract then it stays in the body as there is no way for the rabbit to remove it.
So yes the treatment does kill the worms but if they are anywhere else like in the jaw, mouth area like yours was it will just stay there encapsulated in the body.:?

Back