• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the more freedom he has the more he bites

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
:wave: hi...
i have my rabbits inside for winter, rexy has been neutered 10 days ago and now they are in i can give them more run around time in my alley( taking it in turns till little swimmers have gone) :lol:
it seem s the more freedom i give him the more he is getting nastier,:( he now hates to be picked up and when i have to pick him up he is hell bent on try to bite chunks out of me:shock:
he still binkys around me when he is on play time , but he is biting more now than before his op:evil::evil:
any help on calming him down will be greatfuly recieved:?

10 days after neuter is still early days - his hormones won't have settled yet, so this might take another 5-6 weeks

Some bunnies just don't want to be picked up. Could you get him to hop into a carrier to move him, or herd him?

Are they nips or proper bites? Could he be in pain? Nips are just telling you to back off, bites could be something else!

he has always been a nibbler. no blood but can leave a bruise. coco is always around so could it be that smelling her is getting to him,she is nearly 12 weeks but she has started scent marking with her chin, she is desperate to get to him,, cant wait till its 6 weeks then they can go intogether

Most of my rabbits nipped as babies but none of them do it now. Just say ouch loadly when he does it, he isn't meaning to hurt you. Its not much different from babies puting everything in their mouths they soon learn.

I'd only worry if it was aggressive behaviour and blood being drawn but I don't think thats the case here.

Most of my rabbits nipped as babies but none of them do it now. Just say ouch loadly when he does it, he isn't meaning to hurt you. Its not much different from babies puting everything in their mouths they soon learn.

I'd only worry if it was aggressive behaviour and blood being drawn but I don't think thats the case here.

I'd worry if it was bruising. A nip shouldn't bruise...although I have a low pain threshold. None of mine have ever nipped, but when I was trying to syringe Ted some medicine he tried to nip me. He was telling me to go away. How is he with stroking? It's probably because of the scent of your other bun, and the fact that he hasn't been long neutered. Good luck!

Lola is a little nipper, my other bunnies don't bite, but for Mimah who softly nibbles your fingers. Lola can get really angry if she doesn't get her own way-nose rubs etc and can often draw blood, usually around the ankles. I've just grown to deal with it.

Sorry I have no advice, Lola doesn't do it when you pick her up, just if she wants attention or if Daddy tells her 'no':no:, which she completely disagrees with.

he doesn't bruise evertime just occasionally , he is such a bundle of fun but when its time to go back in his hutch he is not impressed:evil::evil: :lol::lol: he starts tossing his litter tray about just to let me know he's not impressed,;)
i find if i handle him before he is let loose he is better but not to friendly if i pick him up to put him back, who can blame him i suppose--- freedom or hutch...:shock:

I'd worry if it was bruising.

I think sometimes it depends how they catch you. I have gotten bruised a fair few times when the skin has got pinched together when they nipped. I don't feel it was an aggressive behaviour as all mine have always been very social, it was more 'hello I am here remember?!' and as I said they have all grown out of the behaviour.

Hi

Charlie doesn't bite but he certainly lets me know that he isn't impressed with being put in his hutch. He scoots around the run and pulls all the bedding out his little run house. When I get him he is fine and we have a cuddle. When I put him in his hutch he will stomp about for 5 mins throwing his toys but is then fine.

Hugs
Beckie X

Back