• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I being cruel?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks? :wave:

Every morning after they have had their breakfast I put them in the garden for an hour.

At times they are quite reluctant but then they run about binkying, chasing leaves and having a good dig. They then huddle up under the patio chair on a piece of carpet and watch the world go by.

They are housebuns. Am I being cruel by putting them out in the cold?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

I think as the weather gets colder it won't be a good idea as the change in temperature may affect them probably ok at the moment

i think as you put your heating up over the cold months id let them out in the garden less to be honest, during the day if its sunny i dont think would be too bad,

depends on if the have a thick winter coat,

Thanks!

If they stay in they just sleep under the coffee table, and if they go in the garden they actually run about and get some exercise. They are not keen on going out - after about half an hour they sit at back door but once they are out they quite enjoy it.

They have just come in now and have headed straight under coffee table and will happily lie there until tonight.

I dont want fatty bun buns! :lol:

I don't think an hour during the day will do them much harm.

I can't even get my house rabbit outside anymore. He wont go passed the top step and he freaks out if we carry him downstrairs!!

I think an hour is fine but I would wait until any frost has melted just in case. They'll run about getting exercise to keep warm. They need exercise and fresh air just like us. We hate the thought of going out in the winter but once out it's ok.

I think it's fine at the moment but not such a good idea when the weather turns even colder. I wouldn't dream of going in the garden for longer than 5 mins without a coat on in December/January, so I wouldn't expect a bun with an indoor coat to like it either.

I wouldn't put them outside when it is cold either. The temperature change between indoors and outdoors in the mornings can be quite dramatic, and they won't be prepared/adapted for it.

My bun rooms aren't heated & windows open, so mine are out & about all year, although I juggle them, so not everyday.

I haven't put them out in the snow before, mainly cos I've only had snow in my back garden for about 8 minutes:roll:

Muppet's an indoor rabbit and he too goes out after breakfast and after tea every day and has done for the 2.5 years I've had him. He seems happy and willing with this arrangement, whatever the weather! (The room he's in is not heated although other rooms opening onto it are. I also leave the backdoor open whilst he's out.)

Sooty joined us this summer. Even now she generally chooses not to go out - - but she'll have to put up with the open door all winter whilst we wait for Muppet to have had enough and come in! (Or for me to crack and make him come in cos I cant bear the door open any longer!)

I have my piggies indoors with no heater (most of the time), and their room doesn't seem to go below about 15 degrees. I'd personally try to match the temperature inside and out for bunnies too. My poorly bunnies used to go into stasis if they got cold (but they were very prone to it).

Back