• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my rabbit too hot?

Hi, I tried doing a search but i couldnt find anything

Basically, my bunny is an indoor bunny, and lives in the spare room which is completely bunny-proofed so he can run around as much as he likes.

I noticed the other day, that he was going through about 600ml of water a day, which is more than usual. We dont have the heating on in the house yet (we're students) but there is double glazing etc in every room. I opened the window a tiny bit (i had closed it because its got lots colder up here recently) and now he is only drinking half a bottle a day. Was he just too hot in the room and that was what was causing him to drink lots?

When the central heating is put on, should i leave his window open wider? I'm really worried because i dont want him to be cold in winter either!

please help!

How is he behaving??Running??Binkying??or stone still??Poops??How are they??Is Bun eating??
My thoughts are that it maybe heat or he may be poorly.
All I can say (cos Im not that brainy) is either observe or whip him off for a quick check at the vets.
Hope hes ok.xxxx:wave:

How is he behaving??Running??Binkying??or stone still??Poops??How are they??Is Bun eating??
My thoughts are that it maybe heat or he may be poorly.
All I can say (cos Im not that brainy) is either observe or whip him off for a quick check at the vets.
Hope hes ok.xxxx:wave:

he is the greediest little boy i know! he doesnt stop eating! his poos are always reasonably large. he does lots of running and going crazy and getting excited, but i;ve not seen him binkying for a while :cry:

thank you for your help :) xxx

he is the greediest little boy i know! he doesnt stop eating! his poos are always reasonably large. he does lots of running and going crazy and getting excited, but i;ve not seen him binkying for a while :cry:

thank you for your help :) xxx

youre welcome.He sounds absolutely fine to me really...perhaps hes just warm.
Ring your vet if youre really worried.Just cos hes not binkying may not be indicitive of anything...
Does he flop happily??
Have you a thermometer for checking the temp in the room???
Good luck hun.Can tell youre worried.xxx

What do his ears feel like? That's usually a good indicator of how cold a bun is. What food does he eat a lot of, Pellets? If so cut back on them a bit, and try feeding more veg.

Curious, does he have a salt lick or mineral lick? These can increase water consumption. If not I have no idea:(.

What do his ears feel like? That's usually a good indicator of how cold a bun is. What food does he eat a lot of, Pellets? If so cut back on them a bit, and try feeding more veg.

no, i only let him have pellets when i feed him, he has lots and lots of hay. i'm only just weaning him onto veg now, as he's only a baby and i was advised not to give him veg for the first 3 months i had him

what am i feeling for on his ears? sorry a silly question i know, just the temperature?

and he doesnt have a salt lick -hes such a greedy boy he'd have licked it all away if i let him! lol

no, i only let him have pellets when i feed him, he has lots and lots of hay. i'm only just weaning him onto veg now, as he's only a baby and i was advised not to give him veg for the first 3 months i had him

what am i feeling for on his ears? sorry a silly question i know, just the temperature?

Yes, that's right. They should feel normal 'room' temperature, or slightly warm. If they're cold it won't be that he's drinking because he's too hot. As you've not been giving him much green food that's probably why he's thirsty. I know 'experts' say they shouldn't eat green for the first 3 months, but don't forget wildies live off them once they're weaned at about 4 weeks! It really won't do him any harm if you increase the amount (gradually) and he will probably drink a lot less. Do contact your vet if he gets lethargic or stops eating though.

I don't think that the environmental temperature is too hot for your bun.
Mine is very comfortable at 18-20C & very active.
I suspect the problem is a dry diet. If the gradual addition of a few veg doesn't bring down water consumption to about 200ml/day, [& of course providing that the bottle isn't leaking,] I'd have him checked by a vet.

Back