• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the least painful thing that a rabbit can die of?

I do think the OP is genuinely worried about bunnies dying.

I have watched a few die of different things, and some have been less pleasant than others. But in all honesty I can say that what ever the cause when the end comes they are always "out of it " before the end comes and appear to have no awareness of what is happening.

I don't know if that is of any comfort, but I truly believe from experience that when the end comes they have no knowledge and are already in a better place :)

Those people who say it's a strange question - don't be silly! you know I'm not a rabbit murderer!

I worry about my bunnies suffering and I know they're going to have to die eventually, I just want it to happen with the least amount of suffering possible!

You know how humans often talk about how the best way to go would be (my preference is freezing to death as apparently you don't feel it) I was just wondering if there was an equivalent for bunnies.

Hugos there - thank you! that's really reassuring.. that they are not feeling it. I have only watched one rabbit die and it was the most horrible thing in my life because I couldn't do anything about the suffering :cry:

Hugos there - thank you! that's really reassuring.. that they are not feeling it. I have only watched one rabbit die and it was the most horrible thing in my life because I couldn't do anything about the suffering :cry:

I think it is a lot harder for us to watch and cope with as often the bunny is completely unaware of what is happening where as we have a much greater understanding. And it is so painful to feel that helpless :(

i assume other than euthanasia?

probably old age or something sudden like a heart attack in their sleep. though i am only speculating.

I agree with Liz (Hugo's There) that if bunnies are sick they are usually mentally dissociated towards the end so i dont think they are consciously aware of whats going on or how they are feeling.

I agree with Hugo's There and VikkiVet. Whilst not a hugely religious person I do not think that God (or whatever/whoever you believe in) would let animals suffer during these times. It is awful for us to watch them go but I am convinced they are unaware of what is happening.

Back