• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bloat and Stasis info please

lildebs

Mama Doe
After reading about buns dying today :(....please can someone explain the early signs of both Bloat and stasis.....mine are healthy but I'd like to be aware of it so to react...it's quite worrying:roll:

I've experienced both, once each. I don't think that qualifies me to talk about either subject in great depth or knowledge :?

Sora stopped eating with stasis, was very quiet and just wanted to lay down with her tummy pressed to the ground. Without experiencing Luna's bloat (below) only 8 weeks beforehand, I probably would not have twigged too much was wrong with Sora as early as I did :?

Luna with bloat was very odd - she also wanted to lay down with tummy pressed to the ground, but with loud gurgling tummy noises that sounded like a half-filled hot water bottle. Apparently her stomach was distended/hard but I didn't really know enough about bunny tummies at the time to be able to tell.

There are a lot of threads around for gi stasis but I don't know of too many for bloat :? I'll see if I can find my bunny book and scan the section on bloat.

Ah thanks for that...I ddidn't think anyone was gonna reply :roll:...I've never experienced any of them but would really like to identify early if possible..

Snowdrop gets mini bloats alot because of her stomach condition. She goes quiet, sits hunched up, cant get comfortable and just seems generally in pain. We have always managed to catch it quickly so far and some infacol and pain relief and a good run round have cleared it within an hour.

I google'd the first line from Rabbitlopedia's 'bloat' entry and it bought up a Google books preview. I've done a screenshot of the relevant part from it.

(NOTE:this book is around 7 years out of date, so the treatment etc may have been updated. I did not ask the vet what treatment they gave Luna last year so I am none the wiser.

bloat.jpg

ETA since this one also refers to caecal tympany I've copy/pasted that one too

caecal.jpg

Last edited:
1:1:1 will mean equal proportions of the 3 ingredients.

Interestingly, the vet I took my rabbit to last week (I suspected he had 'bloat') told me rabbits don't get bloat. He said he didn't know what I was talking about and he didn't think I did either :shock::roll: It seems 'bloat' does exist then :?

1:1:1 is equal amounts of each

I'm not really sure but maybe this book was written ebfore critical care (etc) was around to use?

Anyway I don't think you should worry too much about the treatment. If you have had no experience of bloat or stasis the best thing you can do is get your bunny to a rabbit-savvy vet the moment you suspect something is wrong. Your vet will be able to tell you the most effective treatment they see fit (based on their assessment e.g whether a blockage is suspected) and how to adminster that treatment at home :)

1:1:1 will mean equal proportions of the 3 ingredients.

Interestingly, the vet I took my rabbit to last week (I suspected he had 'bloat') told me rabbits don't get bloat. He said he didn't know what I was talking about and he didn't think I did either :shock::roll: It seems 'bloat' does exist then :?

:shock::shock::shock:

I so wish it didn't exist, if it didn't Luna would still be here today :(

Aha gotcha!...As i say both are fine but just wanted to educate myself a little..I'd def take them to the vet if there was a problem.....just one more thing to save me starting another thread...Bella is going for her booster myx jab tomorrow, Oscar her husbun doesn't need his until next year (rescue bun), I'll take them both but should I expect any disturbances between them from her jab?

Aha gotcha!...As i say both are fine but just wanted to educate myself a little..I'd def take them to the vet if there was a problem.....just one more thing to save me starting another thread...Bella is going for her booster myx jab tomorrow, Oscar her husbun doesn't need his until next year (rescue bun), I'll take them both but should I expect any disturbances between them from her jab?

No worries, I know you would take them to a vet :wave: It's just a case of your job being to recognise the signs, it's the vets job to worry about the treatment and to advise you on that (providing your vet is rabbit savvy of course ;) )

Re: the myxi, I wouldn't imagine it to cause any upset between them, but just so you know a lot of vets are recommending myxi jabs to be done every 6 months at the moment rather than 12 months, as there has been a lot of it around and the protection it gives starts to wear off after 5 months. If Oscar isn't due for one until 12 month's time (I assume therefore he has been done very recently?) then it may be worth talking to your vet if he/she recommends they both get done again in 6 months. Again best to rely on the knowledge of your bunny-savvy vet for your own local area :)

Last edited:
Ok many thanks...My vets do 6 mnthly injections she was due it on the 7th of Nov anyway..but they sent a post card through says there's an outbreak in the area to book her in, Oscar had his in Aug so should be ok...thanks:D

Critical care doesn't taste very nice, wheras baby food does.

Generally the second any of mine are remotely off their food I get suspicious. Rabbits love to eat and if they do not take their fav treat could either:

a) Already have stomach issues
b) Likely to get stomach issues soon

If my bunny does not want food I will have a little feel of their belly. Bloated bellies will feel how they do with us, generally after we eat too much. We know that regardless of the pain, either passing wind, pooping or taking some pills etc is likely to make us feel better :oops::lol: Buns dont know this and suffer a great deal of pain without being able to tell us. Therefore, even remotely bloated bellies go straight to the vet.

When Arnie went into stasis, he was anorexic, his tummy felt like what I can ony describe as "an empty sack".

I'm not sure on what info you already have but there is a lot of contradicting evidence regarding the use of Metaclopromide and force feeding - In an ideal world x-rays should be performed to ensure there is no blockage before doing either of the above.

I have used Gripe Mixture, for bloat also and I will always give a snuggle safe to a poorly bun as this also helps ease pain and get everything going. Leave a variety of their fav foods and gentle tummy rubs. If the bun does not drink water, then admittance for fluids is essential.

I watch my buns daily to ensure they're both eating..as like you said that will be a sign of ill health...thankyou for that:D

I haven't tried it personally, I wouldn't know :lol:;) (I hear Jane may have had a taste? ;))

I do believe she is quite partial to anything which is likely to go into a bunny mouth... Seriously though it smells rancid, I have it here but I also have baby food - Oh it has to be veggie and I prefer organic :lol:

informative thread - thank you:wave:

can i just ask tho, if having a prod on bun to see if he/she may be bloated, would the tum feel rock hard? may they flinch with pain if its touched?

Back