• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White Milk-Like Drip From Eye

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

Starbuck has had a bit eye trouble since he has been with us (only a week). We think they started weeping due to the stress of moving, and he was getting a little white bit in the corner of his eye each day, which we wiped away.

Just now though, I have noticed that it has actually gone runny and is more like milk running out of his eye.

We have been bonding him with Fay and she has been grooming his eye (bless her).

Is it that she has unblocked any blockage that was there and this is the "backlog coming through" or is this a sign of infection or blocked tear duct?

Can anyone give advice as to what we should do (apart from cleaning it up with warm water)?

Thanks
Helen

Hi, best to get it checked out with the vet. Hopefully it may just be an infection which drops should clear up (that is what it was with one of mine a few weeks ago). It may also be teeth so best to get it checked.

Is starbuck a frenchie?Will had this most of her life due to entropian.Eye flushes didn't help.Used to bath them with cool saline water.They never bothered her,just looked horrible.

Starbuck is a dwarf lop. He had eye problems before he came to me though they had got all better when we collected him.

Fay has just cleaned his eye for him bless her, but I think I will ring the vets tomorrow for an appointment.

Unfortunately this will disrupt the bonding which has been going well! :(

if they are bonded why not take them both to the vets?. If it is a blocked tearduct which cannot be flushed(your vet will diagnose as it could be other things)it can be controlled by the other bunny licking it and maybe occasional bathing by you with tepid water an pat dry gently with cottonwool eyepads.-sue:wave:

if they are bonded why not take them both to the vets?. If it is a blocked tearduct which cannot be flushed(your vet will diagnose as it could be other things)it can be controlled by the other bunny licking it and maybe occasional bathing by you with tepid water an pat dry gently with cottonwool eyepads.-sue:wave:

Oh yes, of course, I should have thought of that!! Will take them both! Silly me.

Yeah Fay certainly seems to be helping his eye and keeping him clean. We've bathed it a few times this week just to get rid of the white clump, but this is the first time I had seen it running down his little face. Within 5 mins Fay had licked it all away bless her!!!

Thank you for your advice.

Back