PDA

View Full Version : Got some bad news :(



Sakura6267
01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
My vet called this morning and we weren't home, but I got a message from her on the answering machine saying that the culture results came back and the bacteria Yuki has needs a special medication, and the Baytril won't really help for it. I'm freaking out now because I couldn't really make out the exact name of the bacteria so I have no way of researching it. It sounded like Actido Vi something or other. The doctor is in an appointment right now so I have to wait for her to call me. Meanwhile I am so nervous I feel sick. This bacteria sounds very serious if not even the Baytril can take care of it.

Also, I have no idea how I'm going to pick up this medication. My mom refuses to drive all the way to the city, and I don't think the local vets would be able to make it. I thought he was finally getting better. He was eating a lot more, and he had more energy, so this news comes as a real blow. :(

helgalush
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I can understand why you are worried, but try not to worry until you hear back from the vet.

The good news is that they know what is wrong and that it can be treated. It may just be an unusual type of bacteria that is not so common and thats why Baytril wont work. For instance, sometimes us humans need antibiotics based on penicillin and sometimes we need steroids or a completely different kind of medication all together.

The vet will be able to advise you about where to get the medication from - you may be able to order it urgently over the internet for next day delivery perhaps? Though obviously I dont know if it can wait this long. Seek the vets advice, tell her your situation and go from there.

Snowberry
01-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Your vets should be able to order it in for you if they dont stock it.

Sakura6267
01-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I really had to beg my mom and she finally said she would pick it up. But I haven't heard back from the vet yet. I can't help worrying since this bacteria does sound rather nasty if it needs a special medication for it. I just wish she would call back so I could know what's happening. I really can't stand this waiting. :(

Santa
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Try not to worry too much - the fact that the bacteria is resistant to baytril doesn't necessarily mean it's nasty or a big problem, lots of bacteria are resistant to baytril. Baytril is just one antibiotic that is effective against just one set of bacteria.

The only reason they use it first is because (in the UK anyway) it's the only one licensed for use in rabbits, but there are plenty of others that are perfectly safe and frequently used. I really wouldn't panic yet - in fact I would be pleased that your vet is going to give you something other than baytril, as there are definitely options out there that tend to work much better on respiratory tract/jaw type infections :)

Sakura6267
01-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I think what I'm most worried about is that I don't know where this bacteria was from since she took two cultures, one from his nose, and one from his mouth where the tooth fell out. I just don't know how serious it is, and she still hasn't called me back. It's driving me crazy! I just hope it's something that will go away quickly on the new antibiotic, and I hope I can quit giving him some of the other medications since he's really getting out of it from taking so many.

VickiP
01-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Best of luck, hopefully the new meds will work for you, sending positive vibes x

Sakura6267
01-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm so mad at my mom right now. She told me she would go pick it up today, now she changed her mind. I finally did talk to the vet and it turns out Yuki has the same bacteria in both his nose and mouth that is causing the green discharge in his nose and puss in his mouth. I forget the name of it, it's a really long complicated name. I had a choice between coming in every week for 6 weeks to get a penicillin injection, but that would be impossible for us considering my mom would never go once a week all the way to the city. There is this oral one she said was good too and would be just as effective which I also forgot the name of. I wanted to go pick it up today, but my mom refuses. I don't think she'll even go tomorrow! I don't know what to do now because only they can make this medication up for him! And if he doesn't get it ASAP it'll get worse! I don't know what to do now. :(

raine
02-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I would carry on with the Baytril until you manage to sort out picking up the medication that your rabbit needs. The fact they have identified an antibiotic that will work is great. Can I advise you that before talking to your vet next time, you have a pen too hand to write down any words you are unlikely to remember. Dont feel embarrassed about asking them to spell words you need to look up. You are paying for their expertise and they need to understand that you are not medically qualified. Alternatively, get them to fax or email you a summary of their advice so you know what bacteria they identified and also the treatment they recommended.

Is there no vet nearer you that you could collect a prescription from?

Sakura6267
02-11-2009, 12:30 AM
The vet actually told me to stop giving the Baytril, but I will keep giving it to him until I get the actual prescription. At least then he's getting something. He's also still getting the Metronidazole. The vet said to keep him on that, and is going to give me a refill of it.

I know I should have wrote down the bacteria name, as well as the medication she recommended. I was just so upset at the time I didn't think about it. I really hope my mom will drive me tomorrow. If she does, then I'll ask them what the name of the bacteria is, it should be in his file, and I'll definitely have the name of the medication then too. I'm a little worried, though, because she said this medication may cause a little diarrhea.

I asked them if they could send the prescription to my local vet, but they told me the vet wouldn't be able to make it. I'm not sure why.

biscandmatt1
02-11-2009, 12:33 AM
can't the vet make up the medication and send it to you? that is what mine do when i am unable to go and collect it.

just because baytril won't work doesn't mean the infection is necessarily any worse. different strains need and respond better to different things. the main thing is that they have been able to find out what it is and therefore can begin the correct treatment asap.

good luck :wave:

prettylupin
02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
As long as it is not an oral penicillin drug she wants you to give him?:?
Have you seen this table of antibiotics on this page? I would check what you are given with this:
http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

Sakura6267
02-11-2009, 03:03 AM
can't the vet make up the medication and send it to you? that is what mine do when i am unable to go and collect it.

just because baytril won't work doesn't mean the infection is necessarily any worse. different strains need and respond better to different things. the main thing is that they have been able to find out what it is and therefore can begin the correct treatment asap.

good luck :wave:

I asked them if they could and they said no because it has to be refrigerated. This bacteria sounds really nasty because she told me it causes abscesses, ear infections, and respiratory infections. He had an inner ear infection in May, and I'm wondering if it's from bacteria that survived the Baytril then, and it got stronger now.


As long as it is not an oral penicillin drug she wants you to give him?:?
Have you seen this table of antibiotics on this page? I would check what you are given with this:
http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

She suggested penicillin, but only with injection. She acknowledged that oral penicillin is fatal to bunnies. It was either bringing him in once a week for 6 weeks for a penicillin injection, or this oral antibiotic that I don't know the name of just yet. I'll check the list when I find out. :) I managed to make a deal with my mom and she will be driving there tomorrow so at least that's a relief. I just want to get him on this medication already and fight off that horrible bacteria.

biscandmatt1
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
i think any infection is nasty and can lead to other secondary problems, whether it is a bad infection or a milder one. i think that because the vet knows already what you are dealing with, that with the right medication found quickly, that you should beable to fight it off well.

so glad your mum has decided to drive you there.

i hope your bunny feels better soon :wave:

Sakura6267
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Thank you. :) I'm still pretty worried about this medication because the vet said it could cause diarrhea, and I know that's pretty serious in bunnies. Maybe I should have chosen the penicillin injections, but it's too late now because the vet already made up this medication. They would get pretty mad if I changed my mind.

I know he's had this bacteria infection for at least a month, maybe a little more, because that's when this green discharge started showing up in his left nostril. The vet I used to take him to insisted he just had a little hay dust up his nose, and didn't even think about doing a culture. I'm so glad I found an experienced rabbit savvy vet who knows just how to handle bacteria problems in bunnies.

Sky-O
02-11-2009, 07:33 PM
You've chosen what you think is the best option for you and your bun and that's ok. Most antibios carry the warning of an upset gut. Maybe buy some probiotics so that you can give him that too.

Many bacterias have become resistant to Baytril because of its overuse, so its a positive thing to find out what antibio will best beat the bacteria.

You're doing a great job :)

biscandmatt1
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
i think all meds have the potential to upset the tum, depends on the bun. but you know to look out for any signs of it and can ring the vet straight away if it happens.

i think aslong as you have a good rabbit vet, to trust them.

i know it is worrying but it is so good you already know what the problem is and a suitable treatment.

keep up the good work. :wave:

Sakura6267
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the support. :) It's very much appreciated during this difficult time.

Ok, I've got the info I need now. The bacteria is called Actinomyces. The antibiotic I got is Doxycycline. I read on the list that the risk of diarrhea is actually low so that's a good thing. I hope this antibiotic along with the Metronidazole will be enough to knock out that bacteria for good.

Santa
02-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I've used doxycycline before with no problems :) My previous vet said she used it quite frequently in rabbits including long-term courses and never had a problem, so hopefully it will be ok.

I guess like all these things, it's a theoretical risk but it should be a relatively low one - especially as your bun is also getting metronidazole which kills the main bacteria that causes antibiotic induced enterotoxaemia in rabbits.

Sakura6267
02-11-2009, 11:56 PM
That's a huge relief. :) He'll have to be on it for probably around 6 weeks. I just hope it's effective and kills off all the bacteria so it can never come back.

I will give him his first dose this evening. He only has to get it once a day. The metronidazole he gets twice a day. I've stopped the Baytril since it won't do any good anymore.

raine
03-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Sounds as if you have everything covered now. I know its hard, but try and stop worrying. Enjoy your bunny. One of my french lops has been on long term antibiotics for 15 months and doing okay.

Sakura6267
03-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I was worried about how he would react to this new medication, but he seems to be doing ok on it so I've calmed down quite a bit. :) He even seems a little better now, just after the first dose! I think it'll kill the bacteria in about a week or so, then he has to stay on the medication for a couple of weeks after that to ensure all the bacteria is killed off. I suspect he got this bacteria from the head tilt he had in May. The Baytril he had been on took out most of the bacteria, but some must had remained, then grew stronger and resistant to Baytril over the last 5 months. This time I want to make sure it's all gone. I guess I could get another culture test after the 6 weeks are done to make sure there's none left.