• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies actually die from old age?

dayle_x

Mama Doe
Just noticed from seeing Rainbow Bridge that many die of illnesses and the like.
Can they die from old age?
Its sad that they are prone to so many things, and even sadder that a lot is very severe and kills them :cry:

Just noticed from seeing Rainbow Bridge that many die of illnesses and the like.
Can they die from old age?
Its sad that they are prone to so many things, and even sadder that a lot is very severe and kills them :cry:

Yes, they certainly can die from old age

As with humans - as buns get elderly (8 or 9 or so) they become more prone to things like arthritis, pneumonia etc and also in some cases cancers. They may suffer strokes or heart attacks or finally succumb to a virus that they have carried since young (such as EC) or have degenerative problems.

Our Sweet Pea died of what I would say was just 'old age' (he was 10 or possibly 11) - but in fact we had to make the sad decision to have him PTS because a series if degenerative ailments following a small stroke meant that he no longer enjoyed life and he was nearing the end. he would have died within the next couple of weeks as his gut function had started to close down and he had degenerative mucscles in gut and limbs.

So I guess the answer is - yes they do die of 'old age' but usually in the form of an illness associated with old age. Unlike humans they can also be helped out of a long period of suffering at the end of life.

A happy book closed with a happy ending.

yes they do just the same with people . I have an 11yr old girl here and i worry about how she will cope this winter and her cancer is back :(

I brought Sweet Pea in for his 'final' winter and it made SUCH a difference for him. Do consider it if you can.

If you mean can buns live to an elderly age, then yes, I have a few teenagers that I see occasionally.
Unfortunately 'old age' can never be a true cause of them passing on, there has to be a disease process (often organ degeneration at advanced ages) to upset the balance. Old age is generally a vague catch-all term for undiagnosed problems. Sorry to be a pedant :oops:

Back