• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i cant do it anymore :(

sam and nala

Alpha Buck
i cant do this anymore nala is so scared when im trying to syringe her her antibiotics she is terrified of me. its killing me to scare her this much there must be a better way:cry::cry: i have another 9 days of this i cant do it :cry:

:oops::oops::oops: I've been putting Ted's medicine on grapes and banana. He doesn't notice! :roll::roll:

I put antib's in food with bunnies that are hard to medicate....banana is quite easy to hide it in or a small dry piece of wholemeal bread works well too...Perry love his on half a cherry tomato :lol:

ill give it a go in the morning when shes due her next dose.....i hope it works i honestly cant fight her anymore she is so scared of me wont even come near me anymore:cry:

or in a mini shredded wheat? or put it on some dry bread and leave it over night so it goes crispy? or mix it in with her favourite juice? none of these are ideal things to give to bunnies long term, but it seems like needs must!

What we had to do with Beau was be quick, with minimal fuss. Scooped him up in a towel with legs secured so he couldn't wiggle and just jammed the syringe in the side of his mouth (there' a handy little slot behind their teeth), meds in, pop him down and then leave him completely alone for a bit. Then the rest of the time lots of fuss and treats and using his name and stroking him. With Beau it definitely seemed like trying to stroke him and calm him were just making it take longer, which was stressing him more, and he was coming to associate being stroked, treats, his name, anything pretty much, with meds. So quick calm and confident with the meds, and completely seperate it from everything else you do with your bun :D

ill give it a go in the morning when shes due her next dose.....i hope it works i honestly cant fight her anymore she is so scared of me wont even come near me anymore:cry:

aw hun, it does get better again, I promise. Beau hated me when he was poorly, but now he's more loving than ever :love: you just have to think that you know you're helping her, and accept that there's no way of making her understand that, but once she is better you can win her back :D

It is hard when a bunny is poorly and needs meds. Snowdrop hates being syringed and if I put meds on food she wont eat them. I just get it in her as quickly as possible and then give her a treat afterwards. Strawberry on the other hand doesnt even need picking up. I poke the syringe through the cage bars and he opens his mouth to syringe it in! He lurrrrrrves medicines!

shes just so scared of the syringe she sees it and does one then we have to try getting hold of her and i have to hold her ears cos she goes for ya and bites if ya dont while my oh holds her body cos she squerms and just oh its so stressing and upsetting but shes loving the recovary diet can i put it in that do u think?

shes just so scared of the syringe she sees it and does one then we have to try getting hold of her and i have to hold her ears cos she goes for ya and bites if ya dont while my oh holds her body cos she squerms and just oh its so stressing and upsetting but shes loving the recovary diet can i put it in that do u think?

Yes I would! I would just make a small amount of recovery and mix it in so that you know she has eaten it all.

soak it into a small piece of brown bread tonight and leave it to dry overnight then ill bet she takes your hand off to eat the treat which will no longer smell of drugs :D

Pearl would sniff it out when wet but dried overnight a bit of stale brown bread was gobbled away in seconds.

im sorry your having so much trouble, i felt like this with pearls heart drugs but i have to do it every day, it smells too strong to hide and the vet reacons now she knows the smell a tablet would be impossible. ive made a nice routine which does not change, small handful of pellets while i remove the carrier from the cage, i tell her its time she does a feeble run then tries to shrink as small as she can, towel over her and as soon as the deed is done she gets a chunk of banana to take away the taste. its taken weeks and weeks to get to the stage that she gets the full dose and she knows what to expect, its heartbreaking doing it to her but its also the only way to keep her alive longterm :cry::cry::cry:

hope the hiding in food works hun, its best all round when a bun dont need to be stressed if we can help it.

I sympathise with you.I'm having to chase my two around the room each day to clean their ears with stuff vet gave me.They hate it & im so scared im going to hurt them.I feel sick everytime.:(

Oh, I know how you feel, I had to fight with Grim, until I put his medicine in a sandwich. Syringe it onto soft brown bread and put another piece on top. He thought I was giving him treats and couldn't wait to get his 'breadicine'. I felt so horrible at first just like you but put it on her favourite food and make sure she only gets that when the medicine's on it. And good luck. :)

Been giving Eva hers on pellets :D

*Edited to say Steve was too clever and needed to mash up banana for him :roll:

i really feel for you - eric is a syringe-ophobic too and its so stressful for the bunny carer to be upsetting them so much even tho its to make them better:( fortunately i haven't had to give eric oral abx for ages (i ended up begging my vet for a la injection. meant loads of vet trips for me but eric had got to the point where he refused to have anything near his mouth-not even his normal food):(

i only managed the panacur liquid by squirting it onto a fenugreek crunchie and leaving it for hours til it was totally dry - any sogginess and he ate around it. i'd def try the food suggestions and turn it into a casual treat time:)

Back