• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit has died suddenly

flowergirls

Warren Scout
I have just been out to tuck them up for the night and Daffodil, my youngest rabbit, 18 months old, vaccinated and spayed is just lying dead in her hutch. No marks, no blood.She's stiff and cold, lying flat out on her side.
Blackberry, who I bonded with her when Daffy was 8 weeks old is standing over her and growling and lunging at me when I go near.
I am still in shock and have come back inside while I take it all in and decide what to do; especially as regards Blackberry.
It's my first rabbit death. :cry:

aw im so sorry. just wondering did you have any fireworks going off last night ?

I am so sorry, what an awful shock for you :cry: I would leave her there until the others have lost interest. Then take her out. It may be possible for your vet to do a post mortum in the morning if you want to know what has happened :(

Has she been off her food lately or anything? One of mine died suddenly this week from GI stasis.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

aw im so sorry. just wondering did you have any fireworks going off last night ?

I heard some in the distance but not really near, no. She was fine this morning but I left home at 7.30am so ddint check after that til now....so is it best to leave her there til morning as Blackberry's still so 'protective'?
I am just waiting on my ten year old coming home- he is going to break his heart.
What a shock.

What a shock. I am so sorry for your loss.

I would maybe leave her there for a little longer with Blackberry. Bless him.

Has she been off her food lately or anything? One of mine died suddenly this week from GI stasis.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Sorry to you too...one of mine, Bluebell, had stasis last year and it was touch and go

She ate normally all week and last night- I don't feed them in the morning but she seemed fine anyway.

My distraught son and I have just been out again- this time Blackberry let me touch her- and shockingly it appears Blackberry has nibbled away at her ears.- she was actually doing this when we came out.

My distraught son and I have just been out again- this time Blackberry let me touch her- and shockingly it appears Blackberry has nibbled away at her ears.- she was actually doing this when we came out.

Aww, she was probably just trying to wake her up :cry:

There are a few things that can take a bunny so quickly, acute bloat for example. The only way you might find out is to have a post mortem done, but even that doesn't always give you an answer.

I'm sorry for your loss xx

Back