• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think Sammy is overweight?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
HI :wave:

Sammy is 2 1/2 years old. He's a healthly (well very healthy) Grumpy bunny.

He is a Lionhead rabbit, he does have a big a coat but Im worried that he's too fat! (Sorry Sammy), I see him struggling sometimes trying to reach for his caeco poops. His hutch ends up in a mess nearly everyday with uneaten caeco poops.
He does like his grub but I know I'm not helping him if he is overweight.

He weighs 5kg, he's not a very active bun.
He gets fed at 8am and 6.30pm everyday

His Diet - In each bowl he gets
SS Nuggets - 4oz (8 tablespoons)
3 coin sizes of carrott
1/2 a large leaf of spring green
few leaves of spinach or 2" of celery
Unlimited hay

Picture108.jpg

Picture110.jpg

S6300749.jpg

S6300764.jpg

He is a bit on the tubby side !!

I'd cut right back on the SS pellets and Carrot :)

How much exercise does he get each day ?

He is a bit on the tubby side !!

I'd cut right back on the SS pellets and Carrot :)

How much exercise does he get each day ?

He gets 4 hours daily during the week :( and may be 6 hours on Sat and Sun.
When I bring him into the house for excercise he goes straight under the bed and stays there:(,

I feel bad cutting back, but in this case I think its the .........you need to be cruel to be kind.......action. He always has hay so I know I shouldnt be worried about cutting back. What kind of weight do you think he should be?

i agree with jane, id limit veg to once twice a week unlimited hay and smaller amounts of pellets,

does he liked to be fussed or stroked ? ive one bun who runs when he sees a brush and also only likes fusses at ground level, but if hes in the mood will let me pluck the worse of his loose fur off him takes a good few days though pending on his mood :roll::lol:

also is he neutered may lift his mood if hes done

Last edited:
I would take him to see one of the nurses at your vet practice for a weight check. They should then be able to give you a target weight and some diet tips (for your bunny, I mean, obviously) :)

At 5kg I would say he is definately over weight. I have a lionhead cross and he weighs 2.5kg!

He also looks quite porky. I would cut right back on his pellets and treats and make sure he gets plenty of hay and exercise.

How big is the area he lives in?

ETA As a guide my lionhead gets;

2 tablespoons of SS pellets (1 at 6.30am and the other at 11pm)
1 spring green leaf, a small piece and broccoli and a pinch of parsley at around 5pm
Unlimited meadow and green oat hay.

Here is a piccie of Strawberry so you can see how he looks. He is the ginger one.

7328_197806520832_500140832_4399156.jpg

IMG00096-20090816-1931.jpg

Last edited:
i agree with jane, id limit veg to once twice a week unlimited hay and smaller amounts of pellets,

also is he neutered may lift his mood if hes done

Hi

Yes he is neutered. He does like strokes in the morning now, he didnt used to, it as if he's finally coming out of his shell. He gets a good brushing once a week but hates it. I have to shut us both in the walk in cupboard so he cant runaway :roll:

Back