• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you tell if a bun is over/under weight?

With Snowdrop you can feel her spine quite clearly when she is underweight. A bunny who is overweight may have difficulty in cleaning himself.

I believe that when you stroke them you should be able to feel the top their bones slightly but without them sticking out/being visable?
It's what I presumed anyway :lol:

With Snowdrop you can feel her spine quite clearly when she is underweight. A bunny who is overweight may have difficulty in cleaning himself.

Thats one of the things that makes me think that Rainbow is a bit overweight. He can clean himself, but it seems harder for him to clean round his back cos of his belly :oops: he's also got a lot of fur too which doesn't help.

He's pretty much the same size (length/height) as Jose but Jose weighs 1.5kg and Rainbow weighs 1.65kg.

On his health check up from 15/09.08 he weighed 1.43kg, so he's put on over 200g in the last year

He seems to want to eat more pellets than hay, so i'm gradually reducing the pellets in the hope that he eats more hay

I believe that when you stroke them you should be able to feel the top their bones slightly but without them sticking out/being visable?
It's what I presumed anyway :lol:

Jose's got a boney bum but the bones arent visible :lol:

Jose's got a boney bum but the bones arent visible :lol:

Probably about right then! I can feel the top of Charlies spine when I stroke him, and if I prod him a bit (haha sounds so mean) I can feel more but he's just the right weight for his size :wave:

Thats one of the things that makes me think that Rainbow is a bit overweight. He can clean himself, but it seems harder for him to clean round his back cos of his belly :oops: he's also got a lot of fur too which doesn't help.

He's pretty much the same size (length/height) as Jose but Jose weighs 1.5kg and Rainbow weighs 1.65kg.

On his health check up from 15/09.08 he weighed 1.43kg, so he's put on over 200g in the last year

He seems to want to eat more pellets than hay, so i'm gradually reducing the pellets in the hope that he eats more hay

1.65kg isnt heavy really. Depends on his size though I suppose. Sometimes it can be there fur that makes them look bigger than they are. Snowdrop looks like a right porker but at 2.1kg is underweight for her size.

He was a tad underweight when he arrived on my doorstep last year :( So i would guess hes about right. Dont forget, Jose is a smaller breed bunny, so Rainbow probably looks bigger to you :) Last time i saw Rainbow i actually thought how small he looked :lol: But then im used to bigger buns i guess.

I would reduce his pellets anyway as it wont hurt him. It will encourage him to eat his hay ;)

Timmy is a netherland dwarf like Jose and he is really fluffy! Blossom is quite boney and feels alot 'harder' when we stroke her! We just put it down to a difference in breed! :D

He was a tad underweight when he arrived on my doorstep last year :( So i would guess hes about right. Dont forget, Jose is a smaller breed bunny, so Rainbow probably looks bigger to you :) Last time i saw Rainbow i actually thought how small he looked :lol: But then im used to bigger buns i guess.

I would reduce his pellets anyway as it wont hurt him. It will encourage him to eat his hay ;)

If i saw your buns, i'd probably be a tad scared/freaked out with them being big uns :lol:

He's eating a lot more hay today which is good :D

He just looks a bit podgy and seems to be out of breath easily

If i saw your buns, i'd probably be a tad scared/freaked out with them being big uns :lol:

He's eating a lot more hay today which is good :D

He just looks a bit podgy and seems to be out of breath easily

:lol::lol: You ought to come and see them :love:

Yeah, if he seems out of breath easily then hes probably a tad overweight. Either that, or he isnt used to so much free range space/time? He'll get used to it. Your doing the right thing with the pellets :)

I bet hes loving being a housebun :love:

:lol::lol: You ought to come and see them :love:

Yeah, if he seems out of breath easily then hes probably a tad overweight. Either that, or he isnt used to so much free range space/time? He'll get used to it. Your doing the right thing with the pellets :)

I bet hes loving being a housebun :love:

He only seems to eat the hay after he's demolished all the pellets, so he's not going to like me when i reduce them :lol: Its for his own good tho! :D

I don't think he knows what to make of being a housebun to be honest :lol: You can tell he's not used to all the random house noises cos he sits there with his ears twitching :lol: And he's not as sociable as Jose is, but i'm guessing that'll come with time - i think the contact human interaction is a bit overwhelming atm, bless him :)

While he's still healing he's living in a exercise pen in the middle of our living room floor atm, and i open the side so he can come and go as he pleases and he just stays put inside :roll: I pick him up and put him outside of the pen (or just shoo him out) and he has a wander around then goes back inside :roll:

He's absolutely nothing like Jose!! :lol:

I'd love to come and see them :D I can just imagine monster buns bounding towards me :shock::lol:

I can't remember if this was abouts rabbits, cats or animals in general but...

1) If you can't feel or see the ribs or spine they're overweight
2) If you can feel but not see the ribs or spine they're not under or overweight
3) If you can feel and see the ribs or spine they're underweight

I just get them checked at the vets every 3 months - every 6 months when they get their myxi jab then between these appointments by a nurse when they get their teeth checked as wall as that's included in their rabbit care plan that my vet offers.

the vet put nala on a diet:oops: she weighs 5.7kg he wants her to be 5kg shes dead fluffy tho i think she just looks fat cos of that i dont think shes obease :roll:

she is a giant bun tho i dont just have a massivly fat small bun :lol:

He's going in for his check up (and VHD vacc) on Wednesday, so i'll mention his weight to the vets and see what they say

Back