• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going down a ramp

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Ruby's had her first day and night in her new double decker hutch and she is loving it, apart from the fact that she doesn't seem to want to go DOWN the ramp. She will only go UP it. If she wants to go down, she'll out her front paws up on to the bars then go over to the ramp and then I have to lift her out of the hutch and slot her in below. Do any of your bunnies have problems with this?

i don't use ramps but i've heard of it before. having shorter front legs and big, strong back legs a rabbit going down a ramp must feel like its going to go a*se over tit any time! does your ramp have bars across? most do and that seems to help. if you move the ramp, could your bun jump down? just thoughts. no doubt people who really know will have better ones!

You could put a sturdy box or hidey house next to the ramp so she can jump on it whilst getting used to it

When mine get a new ramp I encourage them down it by placing food at each interval. They soon get the hang of it. The only bun I've had who thought she couldn't do it had head tilt, and she could do it, just didn't believe she could.

Pipkin had some troubles at first, but Ruby (my Ruby XD) took to the ramp pretty quickly. Not sure what Ruby's previous accomodation would have been like though; she might have used a ramp before.

The food idea that Sky-o suggested sounds like a good plan

I'm not a ramp fan either, although they tend to get used to them within a few days - I prefer staged shelves for them to jump up and down

Can you put a brick under the end of it for a while to make it less steep feeling? We did this for about 2 weeks and then removed the brick and they are both fine at the ramp now.
:)

We put their food dish at the bottom of the ramp. They soon realised it was safe to go down :)

We also put bunny on the ramp facing down so they had practice, but only from half way up :)

Back