• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why can't I litter train my male rabbit?

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, I have been trying to litter train my rabbit for over 2 weeks and I am not getting anywhere.
I have but his wees and poos in the litterbox everyday I change it, he just wees anywhere, has anyone got anymore ideas?
Thanks

Is he neutered? If so, when?

Are there any rabbits near him?

Also, how are you doing it and what do you use?

Is he neutered? If so, when?

Are there any rabbits near him?

Also, how are you doing it and what do you use?

He is not neutered and he has 2 male neutered rabbits and 1 spayed female rabbit in the same room as him.
I managed to train the other rabbits by just putting their poos and wees in the litter tray and that worked but not with this bunny.

I would be amazed if you're able to train an unneutered rabbit to be completely litter trained when he can see/smell other rabbits nearby! He will have full hormonal territorial urges and will therefore be attempting to mark his territory.

The only real way you stand a chance of solving this is by getting him neutered, as it's the only way you'll reduce those territorial urges. :)

Some unneutered guys are trainable, others are not at all. I would think if he was neutered it would be far easier. Currently, he seems them as a threat and he needs to makr his territory, which is what he is doing.

Hmmm... I remember Dillan being trained almost immediately. I just placed his litter tray where (on top of) he had been pooing and peeing and he started pooing and peeing in there at once... If you've tried this then I really have no idea :(
Helen xx

Mine's been a bit of a nightmare too. He used to pee on the carpet in the corner where his tray was. Suddenly he stopped doing that and didn't pee outside his cage for about 6 weeks. Then this week he's decided to start full on peeing on my sofa! It's almost like he saves it up, lol

He's being neutered this week, hopefully it'll help

Litter training an entire male is possible, Harvey is approx 8yrs and lives in the conservatory with the other 6 buns. He's faultless, yes we have the "rabbit currants" but even the neutered ones do them to mark their territory.

The easiest way I found was see which corner they preferred and put the litter tray there with soiled litter in, i emptied it every other day and repeated the process but didn't scrub it, just wiped it, that way the rabbits scent is stronger.

A pair of my buns do have 2 litter trays, there big one and a smaller kittten one as they just seem to like weeing in the other corner, tried everything but gave up and just put another one in!

Back