• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rain

are rabbits okay in heavy rain? because she has a shelterd end in her run but she sits at the other end of her run and falls asleep in the pouring rain is this okay?

It's not good for her especially at this time of year. If she gets wet and cannot get dry again (it's too cold for her to dry out naturally) then she could get ill, such as pneumonia.

So no, she should have somewhere dry and totally sheltered in this weather.

We have a wet bun too. Thinking of bringing him indoors. It just seems to be impossible to keep him dry in his hutch and run. :(

Aaah ok - now it's getting towards winter you need to decide if she will be one or the other, she cannot continue to be both in winter. As a rule of thumb, when the temperature is different indoors to outdoors (e.g. the time of year you put the heating on), then rabbits need to either stay indoors or outdoors but not move between the two.

The reason for this is that rabbits grow a fur coat according to the temperature that they live in. A rabbit that is always outdoors will grow a very thick, cosy coat so that it can keep warm in winter. A rabbit that is indoors will have a thinner coat so that it does not overheat when the central heating is on. If you have a rabbit that does both, it will not know what length coat to grow and will consequently be very cold when you put it outside.

Can you imagine if you were all cosy inside at night in your pjyamas and were then popped outdoors in the morning without having been given a warm coat and boots to put on? I'm afraid that is exactly what is happening to your bunny now - she doesn't have a change of coat so she needs to let it adjust one way or the other.

As she is a single rabbit, personally I would suggest having her inside for the whole winter now, as she won't be as lonely and will hopefully have more opportunity for exercise even when the weather is bad. You can easily make cage extensions so that she has more room to move around even if you're not at home to let her out :)

The cheapest option would be to keep the cage you have but keep it open all the time and attach a puppy pen to it. You could then let her freerange when you are there to watch her :D

My old rabbit got caught in a heavy shower after a heat wave (he was a free range outdoor bun) he got pneumonia and died. He was 7 years old and a large bunny, but I'll never forgive myself.

I'm glad she's inside now!:wave:

We have a wet bun too. Thinking of bringing him indoors. It just seems to be impossible to keep him dry in his hutch and run. :(

I have a blue b&q tarpaulin that covers the hutch and run perfectly. they have the end panel and one side panel of the run exposed. I also have 2 lengths of chip board on top of the run and regularly clear the water off the top, so it had collected in the past and broken the top of the run before now.

I have got alice inside now and she has a NEW (to us anyway) dog crate to sleep in so she can stay in it when we are not here as well! She loves it in there butbb comes outside with us when we are home (and dad isn't) :lol:

Back