• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how can i clean matts bum???

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
matt has some poop stuck near his bum in a big clump and i can't get it off. i used the pet safe wipes and they aren't shifting it. ages ago this happened and i cut it off that time, but this time it is too near his bits so i can't.

he had a few excess caecotrophs but is ok now, but just has this one bit completely stuck.

I would do a bum soak :lol:

couple of inches of water in a bowl or sink and sit him in for a few minutes... poops come out easy by teasing it with your fingers once wet. Make sure he is dry thoroughly after though.

think i will try some warm water again and hope it at least loosens it for him. he's so fluffy! just don't want to keep wiping over his bits and make him sore.

Yes - a quick soak of warm water is so much quicker than wipes. As long as bunny doesnt get too stressed in water. My bunny I occassionally clean this way kinda likes it. She sits in the water with her paws on the side of the sink :lol:

think i will try the warm water wiped over from a cup first. he has so much meds and everything at the minute, don't want to put him in the sink and risk upsetting him. thanks :wave:

soft comb that you could dampen with warm water and gently comb it out...Bella once had dry banana stuck to her :roll: nightmare as it was hard...but this worked without too much stress to her

soft comb that you could dampen with warm water and gently comb it out...Bella once had dry banana stuck to her :roll: nightmare as it was hard...but this worked without too much stress to her
i used a soft brush, but didn't think to wet it. :oops: will try that, thank you :wave:

Hope the 'bum soak' works! Pie sometimes has the same problem, but she really is not impressed about water! :lol:

I get a bowl of warm water with bunny shampoo (only a small drop). I then hold him on his back (he is well behaved) and then use a cotton wool pad which has been dipped in the water and then squeeze so it is damp rather than wet. Then wipe. :mrgreen: Lovely bum then :D I

All good advice. Have you got to the bottom (excuse the pun) of what caused his mucky bum? That's always the best solution after removing the offending poo obviously. :wave:

All good advice. Have you got to the bottom (excuse the pun) of what caused his mucky bum? That's always the best solution after removing the offending poo obviously. :wave:

yes, it was my fault, i gave them a little bit of apple. matt is on alot of meds and it probably wasn't one of my better ideas. :roll:

used warm water last night again and it loosened a bit, but still won't come off!!! i've seem matt cleaning there alot though so hopefully he can get it now. i will check later when i do his meds.

hmmm....well i cleaned matts bum as best i could and left him to clean it as it was looser...which he did...but now i've just checked again and there was some poop coming out as i looked. it was soft. a really tiny bit.

he has been having some oat hay and coneflower so it might be that? :?

looks like a hay only diet for a couple of days. he is fine in himself.

matt has just been having loads of hay and this morning there was just one tiny bit of a caecotroph in their cage. checked his bum and he has cleaned it.

he has just had hay today and some herbs, no vege or pellets. will do this until his bum has been clean for a bit. :)

Back