• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

where can I find info on baby rabbits? GRR HE REPLIED

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Looking specifically for the age they leave their mother. I know it is 8 weeks, but someone is advertising 2 week old buns to go at 6 weeks old. Just wondering as I can't see anything on rabbit welfare site or rspca.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have no links but I once talked to a vet about these things.
She said the rabbits could be separated from their mother at 6 weeks as they no longer need milk, BUT this does not mean they are ready to leave home.
Their immune system isn't completely developed yet so she recommended taking the mother out of the cage so the babies would be used to being without her, but leave them in the same hutch for a couple of weeks extra.

Taking them too soon can stress them, and due to the fact that they're suddenly exposed to a brand new place and new bacteria isn't good for their immune system and could greatly increase the chances of them getting sick as adults. A breeder may not notice this, as the rabbits will be taken of their hands before this time, and if not its the case of a rabbit they intended to keep anyway so they would stay with the breeder for as long as they need.

This vet told me that most of the (adult)rabbits she got in for random diseases had been taken from their mother at 5-6 weeks of age, and if they had been with the breeder till they were of the recommended 8 weeks they may not have gotten sick:(

:evil: idiot!

well done for trying though.

smudge, bisc and matt were all sold to me too young. i didn't know at the time. smudge died, and bisc and matt have always had problems. :cry:

I believe its illegal to sell them earlier than 8 weeks? So could you involve the RSPCA? It might give him a good kick up the bum at any rate.

Back