• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can bunnies get asthma?? U/D post 15

lostunicorn

Alpha Buck
Princess Daisy was breathing heavily when I picked her up earlier and every now and then was kinda snorting as she was breathing.

She has been inside for the last 2 hours and is running around fine, eating but hasn't pooed yet but that's normal for her when my two come inside for less than 5 hours, however when she washes her face she makes the funny grunts again.

She isn't snezzing and her nose, mouth and chin are dry.

Other than the odd breathing she is fine, hence wondering about asthma.

I am going to keep her inside tonight and will monitor her breathing and if it gets worse phone the vets. However as it is out of hours being the weekend I don't want to pay a massive vets bill if it's something that can be explained and the vets will just tell me I'm being a paranoid bunny mummy.

So basically if you were in my postion what would you do and should I be panicing and taking her to the vets now.

Thank you, I'm completely clueless as have never has a bunny who has made breathing nosies.

Last edited:
Personally I would DEFINATELY get her to a Vets as whilst Rabbits can get 'asthma' they are more likely to get a lower Respiratory Tract infection which can manifest itself in the way you describe. *If* it were a RTI then prompt abx therapy is needed as it can become very serious if left untreated.

When I pick Ralphy up he pants and has very audible breathing, but when I put him down again he stops. I've always assumed it's because he just doesn't like being picked up. Or could I be wrong?

Personally I would DEFINATELY get her to a Vets as whilst Rabbits can get 'asthma' they are more likely to get a lower Respiratory Tract infection which can manifest itself in the way you describe. *If* it were a RTI then prompt abx therapy is needed as it can become very serious if left untreated.

I agree - if it has come on suddenly today, it is more than likely a respiratory tract infection. As Jane suggests, this can turn into pneumonia very quickly which can be fatal if not treated quickly.

Personally I would ring the emergency vet for a chat and to describe her symptoms and see what they say. If it is a lower R.T.I, Monday could well be too late.

Good luck, hope your little one is ok xxx

When I pick Ralphy up he pants and has very audible breathing, but when I put him down again he stops. I've always assumed it's because he just doesn't like being picked up. Or could I be wrong?

If it is not a recent (new) developement and he only does it when you pick him up then it is probably stress induced.

I would get him checked by your Vet to be on the safe side.

Thank you for all replys...since I sent this she has not breathed heavily or made any funny noises once. She has eaten her pellets, hay and brocolli.

Is this normal for RTI??? Could she have had something stuck in her throat...it has literally just disappeared???

ETA My vets don't do out of hours and are covered by 'Vets Now'. Has anyone got any experience of vets now as there are some very unpositive things on the web about them...hence my reluctance to use them unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Its impossible to say why she has increased respiratory sounds and the fact that she's eating does NOT mean there is no problem in her respiratory tract.
At the very least I would call a Vet for advice. I still believe she needs to be examined ASAP.

ETA My vets don't do out of hours and are covered by 'Vets Now'. Has anyone got any experience of vets now as there are some very unpositive things on the web about them...hence my reluctance to use them unless absolutely necessary.

Like all of these things, it's impossible to generalise. Policies and prices aside, it's a bit like a franchise so will very much depend on the particular vet that you get. Like 'daytime' vets, some are good with bunnies and some are not so good. You just can't tell from the name of the chain. My vet also uses 'vets now' and they are very good at just giving advice over the phone without insisting that you go in - it sounds positive that she doesn't seem to be making any more noises, but I would still give them a ring for some advice.

Just phoned Out of hours vets as when Daisy washes herself she makes the funny nosies. Vets obviously had no idea and said rabbits normally make grunting noises and had I had rabbits before.

Its impossible to say why she has increased respiratory sounds and the fact that she's eating does NOT mean there is no problem in her respiratory tract.

Vet said that if she had trouble with breathing it would be all the time and she would not be eating or pooing. Jane I'm with you 100% on this one so the vets aren't that rabbit savy....I mean I told the lady I have had rabbits for 12 years and know normal rabbit grunts.

Daisy is cleaning herself as I'm typing this and her breathing sounds laboured with grunts but then is fine now she's resting.

I'm more worried than I was before as obviously the out of hours vets don't understand buns so what do I do??? Do I take her to a vets that isn't rabbit savy or keep her in with us over the weekend and get an emergency appointment first thing Monday?????????????????

Or can I find a different vet not covered by Vets Now???? Is that socially acceptable in vet circles

:(:(:cry::cry: I'm really worried now especially as the vets don't seem great.

ETA Vets said if I was *really worried* I could bring her now but that as vet trips stress animals out it might be best to leave until Monday.

Last edited:
I have been through something 'very' similar this week so I understand your anxiety:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=201375

It's a bit long so don't read it all now unless you have time.

Okay, with Poppy her breathing was not exacerbated ONLY on exertion - it was constant at the point the episode began - resting, sitting up, eating etc. she had something stuck in her throat and aspirated but this is rare in rabbits and this was the exact moment that the wheeze began, as I said, although posture (lying down/sitting up) changed the depth and pitch of the wheeze it was there constantly at the outset. The more likely scenario for your bun is a lower respiratory tract infection, unless there were other symptoms that would suggest an aspiration.

We use a vets now out of hours as this is who our vets also use and my experiences of them are very good so far. They do not need to be 'rabbit savvy' just to give basic emergency care. For a lower respiratory infection or something which is thought to be this, then this would be an examination, superficial inspection of the mouth and nose, and if possible as far to the back of the throat as possible. Food can become stuck on the back molars in rare cases also.
It may be that a NSAID like metacam is a good idea for this acute phase to reduce any swelling, inflammation or discomfort, especially if she has potentially 'scratched' her throat in some way, if it is a latent infection which has flared up then the NSAID will still be helpful in the acute phase. I would not, unless your rabbit is VERY ill and struggling to breathe allow a vet to give corticosteroids - esp if infection is suspected so just ask what they are giving her. Corticosteroids are used for non-infective inflammation of airways and other inflammatory conditions and risky in buns, I doubt an emergency vet would suggest it anyway.

They can have a good listen to her chest - all lungs make the same sounds whatever the species when filled with fluid or pus etc.
She will probably need some antibiotics - but if the vet suspects a lower respiratory tract infection then something more than baytril would be advisable - my bunny is having long acting tetracyclines (LA engemycin) by injection every 2-3 days.
You could also try a steam filled room or putting a bowl of boiling water safely near her hutch/pen and putting in 5 drops of olbas oil to help open her airways up a little.

I understand you want to see your own vet but with suspected LRTI's the risks of Pneumonia are great. Even if there is not this risk and she has just inflammation in her larger airways, any cavitation/damaged caused can then be at risk of infection from bacteria present. I think she should see an emergency vet tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. The sooner the better. Good luck :)

ETA if at any point she becomes very respiratory distressed - mouth breathing/nostrils flaring she will need immediate attention for Oxygen therapy from a vet.
If vet feels there is def. infection then a nebuliser and/or some bisolvon may also help her to breathe more easily.

Last edited:
My bun Phoebe has had something similar. It sort of sounds like a chock or cough. We were worried she had something stuck in her airways. However she responded well to antibiotics and was diagnosed with an infection. You know your rabbit best. U might find a vets which is open for normal surgery on sun instead of the emergency vet. If u feel she needs help breathing you should get her help. I hope she gets better soon

Daisy's breathing is normal today and I have not heard the funny nosie once. She only made the noise yesterday whilst I was holding her and when grooming herself.

As she is stable atm I am going to wait until tomorrow and then get the earliest appointment I can.

However if she makes the noises again or looks like she is having any trouble breathing I will take her to the out of hours vets.

She has been binkying around the front room and that has not affected her breathing so it doesn't appear to be related to exercise.

She also doesn't appear to be mouth breathing so I'm not sure why she only seems to make the noises whilst grooming.

Obviously if the situation changes I will get her to a vet asap but for now she is her normal self and other than the weird groan yesterday she is in perfect health and her usual self.

Thank you for all your care and replies. I will keep you updated.

x

Sounds positive. I agree, if no more symptoms then I would not stress her with the vet unless as an emergency. I think a check up asap tomorrow morning is very sensible though. I hope it goes well :)

Hiya Guys,

Just an update on Princess Daisy, phoned the vets yesterday at 8am...they technichally don't open till 8.30am but knew from when both my buns were neutered that a vet is usually in by then.

Explained that I had not heard the noise since Saturday and that otherwise Daisy was in apparent perfect health. Vet's advice was to leave her for now as I haven't heard the noise again (and she is prone to statis so vet visit if unnecessary could make her worse) but that if I do hear the noise again or I am worried about her breathing to bring her in.

Have been keeping an eye on her and she does seem fine and no more noises...she even bit me yesterday when I was trying to listen...:roll:

However I know in my heart of hearts that the noise she made on Saturday was not a normal bunny noise so think I'm gonna leave it till the end of the week and maybe take her for a check up on Friday just incase...especially as it looks like is going to be really wet this week!!!!

Am i being a paranoid bunny mummy????

I think they don't have any asthma issue, when we pick them up they become conscious and their body start breathing fast which we think they are not normal but it's because they get afraid or don't like the height.

Last edited:
Back