• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New to forum - time for neutering!

Talael

Young Bun
Hi All,

I'm trying to find Vet for little Biscuit in the Liverpool/Wirral area. He's about 7 months old now and I'm thinking it's time for the op!
How would I go about finding a decent Vet?

Also, Bisky HATES being picked up and he's not that keen on being stroked either (unless it's on his terms, lol). I'm a bit concerned about how I'm gonna manage the aftercare cos the last thing I want him to do post-op is freak out and hurt himself. Any advice on how to manage it?

Thanks xxx

Aftercare wise I wouldn't worry, my Beau was quiet for a day, but other than that he was absolutely fine, it's much less of a 'big deal' for boys than for girls. The only thing you need to keep an eye on is making sure he doesn't do any big jumps, so if he has things he climbs on then move them so he can't get to them. Also it's a good idea to make sure there's nothing in his area that will stick to the wound and irritate it, e.g. woodshavings. Also keep an eye on his eating, drinking, weeing and pooing to make sure that's the same as normal, and keep an eye out to check he's not nibbling the area! Boys don't generally get any follow-up pain relief or anything like that for you to administer, so you should be fine :D

I live on Wirral and can let you know some if you decide you want one over this side. Send me a PM and I can let you know details.

my two did really well after they had been neutered so try not to worry. they had a quieter day after and we ended up at the vets when bisc decided to pull his stitches out :roll: but other than that, it was fine. like someone else said, just make sure there is nothing to irritate his bits and he can't jump up or anything. :wave:

Do you think I should find him something softer to lay on for the recovery? He has hay in his house (not that he ever sleeps in there).

He normally sleeps on top of his house or on the floor of his cage (we don't use wood shavings anywhere cos he doesn't like them)

Ideally he should be bedded on towels or blankets, as hay could irritate the wound.

Is he an indoor or outdoor bunny? Buns can find it difficult to maintain body temperature after a general anesthetic as their metabolism will have slowed. I would therefore be inclined to keep him indoors for the first couple of days (especially as it is getting very cold now).

Other than that, just make sure you have a good supply of his favourite foods, as you may have to encourage him to eat and drink for the first 24/48 hours after the op.

Good luck for little Biscuit, sending vibes :)

I sort out some proper bedding for him tonight then. He's an indoor bun so hopefully he should be ok in here.

He's actually snoring right now, noisy but very cute :love:

Good luck for tomorrow.

Keep him nice and warm, soft bedding (as the others have mentioned) and lots of nice treats to try to tempt him to eat e.g. variety of herbs, kale, spinach, spring cabbage, grated carrot and his usual pellets and hay of course.

Home!

We'll he's back at home with me, looking very forlorn and sorry for himself but he's seems ok.

He's been eating and pooing (everywhere as usual, lol). Hasn't had a drink or peed yet but it's only been a couple of hours so I'll give him some time. I've moved his cage to a warmer part of the room as keeping the heating on (which is good for me too, it's freezing!)

He's certainly brightened up since he's been back tho so fingers crossed. We're back Friday for his checkup.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice :love:

:wave:Glad it went well. You just need to keep a close eye on his eating and pooping now, although sounds like pooping is OK.

Update - I'm worried

He was eating a little yesterday, some hay and carrot and some of his treat bar. He's peed a little and pooed a little.

But he hasn't really touched any of his normal food and hardly any water. He's had a little more carrot today but he just doesn't seem right. He actually just seems depressed. He's only been peeing etc a little bit but nothing compared to normal.

Am I over worrying? I do that so sorry if I'm being a bit OTT :oops:

Had our check-up at the vet today. She said he's healing nicely which is great.

His appetite hasn't gone back to normal though. He's eating more hay than usual and eating carrots and treats (and munching on his litter as usual!) but he's not eating very much of his regular food (pellets). The vet said to let him be fussy for a few more days.

Is it normal for him to be like this? It's been 3 days since the op and he appears to be going toilet normally so is the lack of appetite with his pellets anything to worry about? (I know I ask a lot of questions and seem overly worried but it's my first bun and our first op)

That's fine. He doesn't actally need pellets anyway, hay is the main important part and a sensible amount of veggies too.

Glad to hear he's getting better :wave:

Thanks for replying. I'll stop worrying so much and calm myself down, I'm such a panicker, lol

I've never seen him eat so much hay! It's actually good to see him into it so much :love:

Thanks for replying. I'll stop worrying so much and calm myself down, I'm such a panicker, lol

I've never seen him eat so much hay! It's actually good to see him into it so much :love:

Hehe, expect lots of lovely golden poos! :wave: Glad he's healing well! :D

My baby is going in tomorrow for his Op, I'm so worried Ive been dreaming allsorts the past few days. Its my first experience of this and I have no idea what to expect. Are you with them when they knock them out??

My baby is going in tomorrow for his Op, I'm so worried Ive been dreaming allsorts the past few days. Its my first experience of this and I have no idea what to expect. Are you with them when they knock them out??

Good luck for tomorrow. Normally you sign a consent form and leave the rabbit with a nurse and pick them up once they have recovered. If you check back on this post you will get an idea of what to expect and do. Make sure you keep him warm and have lots of food to try to tempt him to eat when he gets home.

Talael - how is your bunny doing now, I have only just caught up.

Back