• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Otto isn't doing so well / We lost him/ PM results post 99, completely heartbreaking

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
:(

After weeks of remaining dry underneath, Otto became very wet on Thursday. It is worse than I have ever seen it and his skin has gone funny and his genitels are swollen :( He saw the vet yesterday who says he has a secondary skin infection but the odd thing is he doesn't have the initial urine burn :? as I have been bathing him and trying my best to prevent it. So it is a bit of a mystery how he has become infected especially in such a short time.

The vet doesn't think the problem is related to his previous injuries and we can't carry on as he is so he is having tests on Tuesday. To make matters worse we found he has some spurs on his molars which have made his cheek sore. So he is having a dental and a bladder x-ray followed by blood tests if needed.

We are concerned about the GA as Otto some days has a rattly chest, other days it sounds normal. Of course when he saw the vet it sounded completely normal :roll:

I am really worried as Otto is very uncomfortable, I honestly have never seen a bunny get so wet, especially when it is not being neglected. Last night his whole underneath was soaking along with his back legs and half his back. Even the backs of his front legs were dripping :( He is also very difficult to handle so bathing and drying him is an uphill struggle and i am scared to hold him too tight because of his previous injuries.

Hopefully the antibiotics and pain relief will help him for now, I just hope we find a cause on Tuesday so we can treat him and make him feel better

Last edited:
Thank you

tuesday is going to be busy, we also have Fern and tegan in for their blood tests and our new sunday arrival is also booked in for a full health check :)

New Sunday arrival???

Yes he was in rabbits in need, I really shouldn't look :lol: 6 year old male, not neutered or vaccinated. Current owners have had him around 6 months after previous owner moved from a house to a flat. They decided to breed him just to see if he could :roll: Which of course he managed successfully.

he comes with a hutch too :? which will be interesting. I doubt he has ever seen a vet so thought we better get him booked in :)

Sending tons of vibes for Otto :( Will be thinking of him on Tuesday. Hes in the best care ever with you and Steve xXx

Just always remember you are an AMAZING bunny mummy and Otto knows that. You are doing a truly wonderful job :) xx

He is getting worse by the day :cry: this is what I found this morning :( I have never known a bunny to get so wet. His skin isn't hot and burning but is cracked in places on his legs.

He is so difficult to handle and I have tried my hardest to keep him clean but I am failing miserably :( I have just spent over an hour tring to trim his fur and clean him, but the infection makes it harder and I am so worried about cutting him. I can't clip him as his skin is so wet and slimy. In places slimey skin is coming away with his fur.

I can't believe that 4 days ago he was completely clean and dry :( I hope to goodness we get some answers to the cause of this on Tuesday :?

PB010039.jpg

PB010041.jpg

PB010042.jpg

PB010043.jpg

And this is what I managed to acheive after over an hour of triming and bathing :( He has had all his creams put on now and is back with Onslow munching on treats.

PB010044.jpg

Poor Otto - sending vibes for him.

Btw with all that care you are giving him you are not failing him miserably - quite the opposite imo. :)

Back