• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RU bonding/new bunny support group!

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
Getting a new bun can be sooo stressful, surely it's not meant to be :roll: I thought it would be good to hear other experiences so people know they are not the only ones!

I recently added a 4th bun to my trio (now 2 boys 2 girls) After great progress with Dinky yesterday I was feeling really positive, only to be woken up at 6 o clock, and every half hour after that by bunnies chasing, first Poppy chasing sweetpea, then Dinky chasing everyone, then Gus and Dinky trying to chew out of their pen...I was planning to finally let them have the whole room today, not so sure now, I'm worried Gus is getting upset by all the drama, he is such a sensitive bun..I originally wanted a 4th as I thought it would even things out as Poppy has always been a bit mean to Sweetpea...and for the first 3 weeks everything went like a dream, then Dinky started attacking Gus, that has all stopped now, except for the chasing.

I feel bad for putting them through this, even though they don't seem bothered!

So tell me this is all normal...please??

Strawberry still chases Snowdrop even though they have been bonded for months. Its mainly at dinner time and has increased recently because of Bungle being in the house.

I think I will be needing the support group as I plan to try and bond Bungle into my pair in a few weeks! Its going to be a nightmare as Strawberry is soooo bossy. I am praying Bungle will just let him be dominant!

Anyone think I am mad for even considering it or is it worth a try? I thought it would help Snowdrop as having another bunny in the group might mean she gets bullied less. It will also mean Strawberry wont be left alone when she is in the vets.

I think it is worth a try :) One thing I have seen is adding another bun tends to change how the others react to each other. I started with Poppy and Gus, easy bond, no chasing/humping...maybe I should have quit there!

Then added Sweetpea, she is definitely the bottom bun but Gus adores her. Poppy goes through stages of being really sweet with her, then chasing. Sometime the chasing would get pretty bad, but Sweetpea never seems bothered by it.

When I first added Dinky I had a few weeks of no chasing, everyone grooming everyone else, was great! Then Poppy chased Sweetpea and set Dinky off chasing Gus...so now I have four buns vaguely bonded, but Gus is scared of Dinky.

Sorry you are having trouble with them. Hopefully they will settle soon.

I decided to bond Merlin in with Frankie and Kassy as they had previously been living together and it was going great but Kassy kept chasing Merlin. I left it for four weeks and increased the space and she still wouldn't stop chasing he got very stressed. I decided to take him out and bond him with Wesley and its the best thing I could have done. They are joined at the hip now and always flopped out together and grooming each other. :D

I've got way too complacent. Just open the pen and leave them to it :oops:

It helps if you fill your garden with 20 other rabbits first so the new one slips in unnoticed...

I think if it hasn't settled in a couple of months I may consider pairs...don't really want to though :(

They have been very quite today, all the early morning action must have worn them out, all sitting together nicely :)

I've got way too complacent. Just open the pen and leave them to it :oops:

It helps if you fill your garden with 20 other rabbits first so the new one slips in unnoticed...

Hmmm so you are saying if I get another 20 (20, yeah right ;) ) then it'll be ok...must tell Dave the good news :lol: :lol:

Awww bummocks Lou, just when it seemed to be going better again :(

Might it help if you shut them into the crate overnight for a bit? :?

I have thought of that...but it makes Poppy worse if she's shut in, and if she starts chasing Sweetpea the rest kick off!! Think we'll be going for a long car drive tomorrow!

Back