• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Rabbits :-(

Sad but necessary I'm afraid.
"The current population is so large that it threatens to permanently damage the island's sensitive vegetation, and poses a serious threat to other fauna species,"

If they destroy the vegetation they'll eventually starve to death, which is worse than the alternative in my opinion.

Sad but necessary I'm afraid.

If they destroy the vegetation they'll eventually starve to death, which is worse than the alternative in my opinion.

I'm in the same boat as you.
Its not as it they are going out there way just to kill the for fun or just to get kicks out of hunting them.

There is a justified reason in my eyes.
Im interested to find out how the will carry this massive operation out, as there must 1000's of them, as long as they dont release a virus like vhd or myxi to kill them, im fine with it.

mxx

according to what I learned in maths population of any animal on an island will reach a plateau when available food sources run out. This is nature I'm afraid.

There are rabbits living on a roundabout in a nearby town and there are now wire rabbit sculptures put on the roundabout in tribute. The rabbits have certainly been there for the last 25years and possibly more. They all look healthy and you can see at least 3 rabbits -often many more - at any time you pass. Its a large roundabout with a small hillock in the centre and trees on it. the rabbits seem lively enough.
The roundabout never gets overrun with rabbits and I have never seen a dead rabbit on the road. They sustain their lifestyle as they would in the woods. There is no way they can cross the very busy traffic and could not burrow through heavy concrete foundations so they are definately self-sufficient on there. You can also clearly see the entrance to the burrows in the hillock. Its lovely.:)

Is there unlimited food and no predators on the island where they propose a cull then? Surely the rabbit population would stabilise at some point when the number of rabbits exceeds the amount of food available for them? I do not see the need for a cull- let nature take its course.-sue

according to what I learned in maths population of any animal on an island will reach a plateau when available food sources run out. This is nature I'm afraid.

Is there unlimited food and no predators on the island where they propose a cull then? Surely the rabbit population would stabilise at some point when the number of rabbits exceeds the amount of food available for them? I do not see the need for a cull- let nature take its course.-sue

i guess they are saying that the stable population is too large for the island. I think the maths model works in theory, but when its a dynamic situation, with natural and manmade fluctuations in food, ambient temperature, predators, etc then the self-regulating theory doesnt work.

How do you gas a mass population? Do they have to somehow block them all inside their warrens? - i dont really want to know the answer, just curious as to how that would work.....

i guess they are saying that the stable population is too large for the island. I think the maths model works in theory, but when its a dynamic situation, with natural and manmade fluctuations in food, ambient temperature, predators, etc then the self-regulating theory doesnt work.

How do you gas a mass population? Do they have to somehow block them all inside their warrens? - i dont really want to know the answer, just curious as to how that would work.....

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=...Cwbnu9&sig=AFQjCNHMuBcnxG3vNwmcx2CVPOfDzflELQ

They will be gassed

Hope everyones 'fine with that'

Im guessing this comment is aimed at me.
If they are being gassed, im "fine with that".
There could be a hundred and 10 different ways that could have been much worse.

Life is about a careful balance. Tip it to onside and something has to give.
Try seeing the argument from both sides.

mxx

Back