• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Training (sit, stay)

Hi guys ever tried training your rabbit to do tricks, I am trying to get Alice to do some tricks but it isnt working :lol: do any of you have any tips I saw some rabbit agility classes but they are in America :cry:

Glad you're enjoying interacting with your new bun :)

You will need to be very careful though - there is a very fine line between teaching her tricks and actually teasing her and making her frustrated so you need to make sure that she is willingly doing stuff for fun and not just because you're moving food round in front of her. If I'm honest, a "full twist" sounds more like something that she wouldn't naturally do or learn to do. I would suggest making it more 'natural' by teaching her to use a litter tray or some jumping. It's important that you don't force her to do anything or tease her using food. If you want an animal that will perform and do tricks for you, I'm afraid you have chosen the wrong pet :)

Also please remember that apple is very very sugary so she should only be given a tiny piece - and I do mean an absolutely tiny piece, maybe 1cm. Especially as a youngster her guts may struggle to cope with the new foods and it could make her very ill and a lot of apple isn't even good for adults because of the sugar content. Why not use some pellets as a treat instead - my rabbits go mad for Science selective pellets :)

Last edited:
Buns wouldnt do anything they wouldnt want to As you see from vids angel doesnt need treats to do her tricks.
But its fun and they do like it otherwise if they cant be bothered they dont do it so I wouldnt worry too much youll know if they dont want to.
best thing to learn would be come and then train them to come and go in pet carriers makes it so much more easier for vets mine met vet before tricks though so know the blue box means vets and wont come if thats out!

I've trained Dingo to rip wallpaper off my wall, chew the carpet and gnaw at the wood on my window frames. He's really good at it! Very proud.

Grimlock is obsessed with treats to the point where he gets violent if they aren't given to him when he sees I've got them. I was trying to teach him to give me his paw for bread but he just digs at my hands and headbutts me and will not pay attention to anything but the treats. It's kinda my fault though, I've made him get excited over food as he has teeth problems and I don't want him to stop eating...

I know how I would train a dog: I would wait until the dog had stopped getting excited, calmed down and then give them the treat. Would this work with a rabbit?

I've trained Dingo to rip wallpaper off my wall, chew the carpet and gnaw at the wood on my window frames. He's really good at it! Very proud.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've trained Ted to fix me with a really scary glare!:shock::shock: AND to escape out the cat flap!

:lol::lol::lol:

I found the easiest thing to train Louie to do is wire chewing, he is already up to Olympic standard :D:love::love:

:eek: Has no one mentioned the Rabbit Jumping UK site yet? :lol:

Harley is trained for almost everything! He will do a full circle standing on his back legs, come when called, roll a ball, give me 'high 10', follow my finger/target stick and loads more :D

We have competitions for rabbit jumping, but not rabbit agility. Although I am making some agility equipment for my buns so I may bring this to the next displays/competitions :)

Wow. Fantastic. Thanks for the rabbit jumping UK website. My buck jumped out of the run once when I turned my back without closing the lid. I might see if he takes to it. My doe will probably just scowl at me.

Back