• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm not sure if Rainbow is ok. - Back from vets post 25

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
How am i supposed to know whats normal behaviour for Rainbow when i'd only had him 2 days before he went to the vets???

He's drinking, eating greens and pellets but not hay, and i cant remember if he was a good hay eater for the first 2 days or not!! I'm so stupid! :censored: Why cant i remember!!!

He just sits or flops in the corner of his pen and then gets up for a wander every now and again. He's cleaning himself ok, and eating his caecotroph (sp?) poo's.

I could tell when Jose was feeling off colour because i knew whats she's normally like

I dont know what to do :(

Last edited:
You just have to do the best job you can. If he is eating, drinkink, weeing and pooing and seems alert then the basics are covered. Look out for teeth grinding as that can mean he is in pain.

You just have to do the best job you can. If he is eating, drinkink, weeing and pooing and seems alert then the basics are covered. Look out for teeth grinding as that can mean he is in pain.

He's only wee'd once since we brought him home yesterday, and it was a big watery pale yellowy one, which i dont know if its normal or not?? It's different from Jose's but that doesnt mean that there's something wrong does it, cos i guess all rabbits are different.

He hasnt done any poo's for an hour or 2 either, but he did loads last night and overnight.

I've let him out of his pen now and he's running around the living room, would a rabbit in pain do that?

This is horrible, I cant stop worrying, my hearts racing

I don't know where Rainbow came from but could you call and find out if he was a hay eater previously?

Try to read the general rabbit signs because you're right, you can be expected to be able to know Rainbow at all yet, although you are already getting to know him which is useful and you can use that info. Look for things like lethargy, anything concerning in gut habits, teeth grinding, sitting hunched up, losing interest in the foods you have already seen him eat and know he likes.

Maybe order a hay experts taster pack to see if you can tempt him?

You're doing the best you can which is all anyone can do.

He's only wee'd once since we brought him home yesterday, and it was a big watery pale yellowy one, which i dont know if its normal or not?? It's different from Jose's but that doesnt mean that there's something wrong does it, cos i guess all rabbits are different.

He hasnt done any poo's for an hour or 2 either, but he did loads last night and overnight.

I've let him out of his pen now and he's running around the living room, would a rabbit in pain do that?

This is horrible, I cant stop worrying, my hearts racing

I wouldnt worry too much, it sounds as though he is doing ok. If he pooed overnight then I wouldnt worry about none for a few hours, my pair dont go as much during the day time as they do overnight.

Rabbit wee varies alot so its hard to tell what is normal. Did the vet tell you what to expect in terms of him passing urine after his op?

I don't know where Rainbow came from but could you call and find out if he was a hay eater previously?

Try to read the general rabbit signs because you're right, you can be expected to be able to know Rainbow at all yet, although you are already getting to know him which is useful and you can use that info. Look for things like lethargy, anything concerning in gut habits, teeth grinding, sitting hunched up, losing interest in the foods you have already seen him eat and know he likes.

Maybe order a hay experts taster pack to see if you can tempt him?

You're doing the best you can which is all anyone can do.

He came from Walsall RSPCA, he's eaten a few bits of hay this morning, but not loads. I'm about to order a bag of Alfalfa King Oat, Wheat and Barley Hay cos that was Jose's favourite out of the sampler pack

He's running around the living room atm so hes not lethargic and his nose is twitching ok (Jose's stopped twitching when she was ill)

He's just done his first binky since being here :D:love: and has just flopped - the binky must have wore him out (i dont think he's particularly fit :roll: )

I wouldnt worry too much, it sounds as though he is doing ok. If he pooed overnight then I wouldnt worry about none for a few hours, my pair dont go as much during the day time as they do overnight.

Rabbit wee varies alot so its hard to tell what is normal. Did the vet tell you what to expect in terms of him passing urine after his op?

No they didnt, all they said was to keep an eye on his "bits" and if they look like theyre getting worse then give them a call.

Why is being a bunny mommy so hard

It sounds like he is doing fine :) He's bound to be a little out of sorts with what he's been through, plus a new place. But he sounds like he's doing great. I think you can instinctively tell if something is seriously wrong, not matter how well you know the bunny :D Try not to worry to much

If you are worried about anything, you can always give Dawn a call, do you still have her number? Dawn is very knowledgeable when it comes to bunnies so may be able to offer you some advice, im sure she would like to know how Rainbow is getting on too :) She would also know if he was a big hay eater ;) The 2 bunnies that Rainbow came into care with werent big hay eaters at all if that helps? :?

As far as what youve explained i would say hes fine :) Remember hes still finding his feet at yours as he hasnt been there that long and it does take bunnies a while to settle into a different environment. If hes running around then its unlikely hes in pain. If hes pooed/weed overnight then everything is working ok down below which is a good thing :)

Im so sorry Rainbow has been poorly :( I would definately call Dawn for a chat :) xXx

If you are worried about anything, you can always give Dawn a call, do you still have her number? Dawn is very knowledgeable when it comes to bunnies so may be able to offer you some advice, im sure she would like to know how Rainbow is getting on too :) She would also know if he was a big hay eater ;) The 2 bunnies that Rainbow came into care with werent big hay eaters at all if that helps? :?

As far as what youve explained i would say hes fine :) Remember hes still finding his feet at yours as he hasnt been there that long and it does take bunnies a while to settle into a different environment. If hes running around then its unlikely hes in pain. If hes pooed/weed overnight then everything is working ok down below which is a good thing :)

Im so sorry Rainbow has been poorly :( I would definately call Dawn for a chat :) xXx

I'm not too worried about the lack of hay eating anymore, i've just been out to buy some Excel Herbage to try, so hopefully that will tempt him. He's eating other things so at least he's eating.

Its just the lack of weeing now that worrying me, he still hasnt done any more apart from the one this morning :( how often do rabbits wee?

I dont know whether my worrying is partly down to it being during the day, cos i know rabbits are less active during the day, and im not normally here during the day to see them.

I know there's times I've cleaned litter trays out at about 9 am and by 4 or 5 pm they haven't used them at all, so maybe during the time they are quiet during the day he wouldn't be weeing often.

I wonder whether it might be worth giving him some dandelions (diuretic) to encourage him to wee, just to make sure he's okay to?

Just a thought, but does he have access to a water bowl as well as a bottle? Some buns prefer a bowl and he may drink more that way..ignore me iof he has a bowl already though! :oops:

I know there's times I've cleaned litter trays out at about 9 am and by 4 or 5 pm they haven't used them at all, so maybe during the time they are quiet during the day he wouldn't be weeing often.

I wonder whether it might be worth giving him some dandelions (diuretic) to encourage him to wee, just to make sure he's okay to?

Stupid question, but what do dandelions look like please? :oops: My garden is a forest so i doubt i'd find any in there :roll:

Just a thought, but does he have access to a water bowl as well as a bottle? Some buns prefer a bowl and he may drink more that way..ignore me iof he has a bowl already though! :oops:

He's got a bowl and a bottle atm, he used a bowl when he first came here as thats what i use for Jose, but then with the collar on he couldnt use the bowl so had to put a bottle in too

Last edited:
You can get 'Dandelion delight' in the naturals range if anyone local sells it? Its basically dried dandelions :) Though im sure fresh dandelions would tempt him more ;)

You can get 'Dandelion delight' in the naturals range if anyone local sells it? Its basically dried dandelions :) Though im sure fresh dandelions would tempt him more ;)

I found some at the bottom of the garden and he wolfed them down :D

Back