• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very sad, last day with Mr Bun

pudding777

Alpha Buck
Last Saturday I had a text from my friend to say her cousin had left instructions to look after their rabbit while they went away for a week. My frend has never had rabbits and had not even seen him before, just got a telephone call the day before with information. My friend couldnt say no as they were going away the next day and she was their last resort. My friend said she would do it but panicked and rang me. And seeing as they lived in the same village as me, my friend lives on the other side of town I couldnt wait to help out.
Last Saturday we had horible drizzly rain. So in the afternoon me and my girls found the house and went through the side gate to find Mr Bun, (we dont even know his name.) He was in a run in the middle of the lawn. The owners had made some effort by putting a few boards on top but the rain just swept in the sides. He had a handful of hay, very wet with flies hovering above and water bowl, damp museli food, an upside down plant pot and a football.
He was wet bless him. A hutch stood in the corner that looked like it hadnt been used since last winter. I contacted my friend to ask where his supply of hay was for the week? No, no more hay, apprantley she was told that would be plenty. The food was under a plantpot somewhere in the garden. I found it, in a plastic container full of water! My friend informed me that to make it easier for her they would leave him out in the run all week as he'd not used his hutch since last winter anyway and he will knock his water bowl over if left in the hutch.
So I went home, got a sack full of fresh hay and with help of my OH we cleaned his hutch, filled with hay, new water bottle, fresh food and with a little DIY got the run up to the hutch. I used my old hutch ramp as the one that was in had lost 5 treads with nails sticking up. I found some taupoline to keep the hutch dry. All week I've been up, 3 times a day. He sits on top of his plantpot and when he hears my voice he jumps off and starts chasing his ball and then humps it :oops:- bless him.:love:
I've got a litter tray in there now and he's using it, and a hay rack which he finds great pleasure in throwing down the ramp.:roll:
Its my last day with him tomorrow. The cousin doent even know I've been looking after him. So really I've been trespassing. So she'll be suprised to find him the way he is.
I sense his loneiness tonight, and wished he had a friend to binky with, I also cried when I knew I wouldnt see him after tomorrow. I didnt think it would get to me like this:? I'm feeling rather emotional tonight.

any chance at all of asking them whether they maybe don't want him anymore . . . sounds like he is tugging at your heartstrings

I think he should go missing ;) It sounds like he's bonded with you - and you with him. and you know in your heart (or you wouldn't be posting) that he'd be better off with someone who actually cares about him.

Oh god that is heartbreaking :cry: I think I would be asking if they would like me to offer him a home - with everything he needs & explaining that how they are keeping him is just not appropriate :cry:

Poor little fella :cry:

Oh, the poor bunny :( ...he really would be better off with someone who cares about him and understands his bunny needs.

Any chance you could try talking to the owners?

I think they care, but just not looked after in the way I would look after my animals? I doubt I will ever be in touch with them. My friend knows though that I would have him in an instant. I asked her to suggest to them about thinking about getting a lady friend for him from a rehoming centre?
I will give him a big clean out tomorrow, loads of timothy hay, spring green and a nose rub. And hopefully I'll hold it together I dont want my girls seeing silly Mummy getting upset!

that made a lump in my throat :(

I think he should go missing, I doubt they would notice, but in their favour, they had tried to keep him dry,and did ask your friend to keep an eye on him.

when you have done the big clean and put in lots of hay etc why not leave a note just giving your name and contact details and mentioning that you have rabbits and like them a lot (hint hint) and maybe leave some spare hay for the next week?

I don't think I would be able to leave him there. I think I would end up taking him and letting them think he'd escaped or something. Poor bun :(

How awesome are you!

I agree about leaving a letter with your details when you leave. Also maybe the link to this forum and any other useful rabbit info, and maybe tell them the basic details they are missing in a way they might be receptive too. If you want to take him then you can always make the offer because you just never know.

What a lucky bunny he is your friend panicked and called you. Hopefully his life can start to change for the better.

How awful:(

Definitely leave your details, hopefully the owner will contact you.

Or just explain he got out and has 'sadly' gone missing.......

I just found out from a neighbour today that their last rabbit died while they were away on holiday:(
The house and garden is very nice. A bit more upmarket than mine:lol: They have lots of rabbit statues and bits around, which makes me think they love their 'Mr Bun', maybe they need better advice on his care and needs?
I already feel I've overstepped the mark by rearranging their set-up. But it's like I told my friend, I'm only thinking about Mr Bun and his needs. Hopefully it might make them think about his needs too. He couldnt get off the wet grass before, (what was left of it) it was very water logged.
I would love to leave some fresh hay but there is nowhere dry to leave it?
I also am very scared of coming across pratronising?
Mr Bun
070.jpg

Rearranged his setup, feeling much happier
077.jpg

I understand your concerns about coming across as patronising but clearly these people are breaking the law by not looking after their rabbit properly. Perhaps, you can print out some leaflets from the RWAF site: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html especially the 'Animal Welfare Bill' one, for them.

:thumb: Their run doesn't look great either - especially to leave a bunny in unattended :cry: I don't imagine it would take long for a dog or a fox to break into it.

I just found out from a neighbour today that their last rabbit died while they were away on holiday:(
The house and garden is very nice. A bit more upmarket than mine:lol: They have lots of rabbit statues and bits around, which makes me think they love their 'Mr Bun', maybe they need better advice on his care and needs?
I already feel I've overstepped the mark by rearranging their set-up. But it's like I told my friend, I'm only thinking about Mr Bun and his needs. Hopefully it might make them think about his needs too. He couldnt get off the wet grass before, (what was left of it) it was very water logged.
I would love to leave some fresh hay but there is nowhere dry to leave it?
I also am very scared of coming across pratronising?
Mr Bun
070.jpg

Rearranged his setup, feeling much happier
077.jpg

Oh MY Word Mr Bun is adorable :love: I'd be tempted to bunny nap!...I hope they'll give good consideration to him being re homed;)...how about printing out a pic of your set up and bun and staple it to the note ...

Well, my 6 year old cried her eyes out today when we left Mr Bun for the last time, so I had to be strong and console her. She asked if we could go visit him sometime, but if we see him and his needs hadn't been met then I will be heart broken.
My friend popped a long letter through thier door explaining everything. I went past earlier about 4pm, and they had got home from their hols.
My friend though hasnt heard anything from them yet. She said she would try her best to broach the subject of his care as they are a very loving family but maybe have different values when it comes to animal welfare?
I told her there is a home for him here, I can just imagine him hopping through my patio doors looking to cause mischieve:lol:
I miss Mr Bun

Back