• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

uterus caner how do you know???

clairelove

Warren Scout
what are the signs i was just wondering has i have a bunny shes around 3yrs old not spayed but im seriously thinking of getting her done now but was wondering what the signs are??

what are the signs i was just wondering has i have a bunny shes around 3yrs old not spayed but im seriously thinking of getting her done now but was wondering what the signs are??

You might well not find out until it's too late. Often they get really ill when the cancer has spread to other organs by which time there's no hope of controlling it.

Sometimes they spot blood. I've heard of cases that have been saved when showing this symptoms. I asked my vet about my 3 year old doe a couple of years ago if blood tests or anything would tell me, she said not. Unfortuantely she didn't advise me to get her spayed but if I were in that position now I would definitely have got her done. (She died at 3 years 9 months, but I have no idea why).

aawww so sorry to hear this think i will get her done to be on the safe side xx

Make sure you choose the vet carefully. It's really important that they are confident in spaying rabbits and if they don't particularly recommend it then I would be wary that they don't do the procedure often.

I have to say I made a vow last year after our British Giant bun Jemima was so ill with a pyometra - which I believe is where their ovaries & uterus become infected & fill with pus :cry: When we rescued her she was about 4 1/2 years old & had never been speyed - we decided that because of her age, we wouldn't risk it, as that's considered elderly for a giant bun.

However, becoming poorly with a pyometra left us with no option but to have an emergency spey done for her - otherwise she would have died :cry: After that I vowed that no matter how old or what health issues our girlies had - I would always risk having them speyed. It was horrendous to see her so ill & I thank god that having her speyed gave us another 3 months with her :) She didn't die because of the pyometra, but had a heart attack at the emergency vets one Sunday morning when she was off her food & not right at all :cry:

As Bunny Buddy says, all too often you don't see signs etc until the cancer is too far gone :cry: Nowadays, if your vet is rabbit savy, it's considered a very routine op for bunnies. Yes it's a big op for girls, but in the long run it can make them a lot healthier & happier - as well as potentially giving them a longer life.

I lost a bunny to this (she was approx six). If I had known more at the time I would have had her spayed.

The only sign was one day when she was restles and lying flat and I took her straight to the vet. They did an emergency spay and thought they had removed it all, unfortunatly it must have been in her lymph glands and I spent the next 4 weeks nursing her. She never got better.:(

I would not hesitate in getting a bunny spayed ever again.

My old rabbit, Daisy had it. I was lucky I took her to the vets for something else and he was very vigilant and felt a very small lump in that area - he asked me to bring her back a couple of weeks later and it was slightly bigger. He said he thought she ought to be spayed and then sent off the tissue and it was uterine cancer. She was over 6 at the time and lived until she was nearly 10 so I'm so glad she was 'done' and the vet spotted it early. I think the urine is also a guide, but sometimes it is probably already quite developed before you would notice this.

Back