• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White sore on 2nd eyelid, sticky eye

Squiffy

Young Bun
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has come across this...

One of my buns has a white sore inside her right second eyelid which is producing a small amount of very sticky white goo. I took her to the vets last week and was prescribed Baytril and some antibiotic eye drops. I've finished the course and there's been no change. Although the vet said to come back if it's not healed after treatment, since she didn't know what this sore was, I thought I would first ask you guys for your thoughts!

FYI The bun is up to date with Myxi jabs (and there are no obvious signs of a-typical myxi) and the other two rabbits are unaffected.

Any ideas on what this might be?

An abscess under the nictitating membrane maybe :?

I'll certainly take your suggestion into consideration, thank you :)

I've had a look online and not seen anything that looks like the thing she has. It's more like the kind of mouth ulcer type thing us humans get, only white.

I'll try and post up a pic later, which should help...

Took Squiffy back to vets today - saw a different vet.

He confirmed it is pasteurella infection of the tear duct, resulting in necrosis of the tissue (white 'ulcer' looking thing was dead tissue). He administered a local anaesthetic and took her out the back to flush her tear duct and scrape away the dead tissue.

Her eye looks more sore now, but the tissue will regrow, he said.

She was prescribed more Bayril and I'm to continue using the anitibiotic eyedrops.

I've had a look online and now realise this bacteria is the one that causes snuffles etc, is carried by most rabbits and only becomes a problem when their defences are down or there is another underlying healh issue. I guess it must be like the equivalent of MRSA in humans?

One question I forgot to ask is will it be OK for Squiffy to stay living amongst my other rabbits in the open plan shed (there's a guinea pig in a cage there too). One of my bunnies, a dwarf who is now over 8, although incredibly healthy now, is she at more risk of some infection (snuffles?) or possbile knock on problems caused by living together with Squiffy at this time? It would be difficult to seperate them and I feel this would cause additional stress to all three, but I'm wondering what your feelings would be on this?

Hope you can help! xx

Back