• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Firefly and Butterfly UD Question about poulticing added

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Well, it's good news on both fronts!

Firefly's eye isn't definitely saveable yet but it's much better than it was, with less redness/discharge/pain, so the outlook is promising at least. He's now able to keep it open and is becoming more adventurous than he's been since he arrived here a few months ago. He's on tiacil for another month or so and septrin for another fortnight. I'm worried about breaking it to him gently that the septrin will end soon - today he nearly bit the syringe off he was so keen to get to it...:shock:

Butterfly is doing well also. The vet said her teeth were possibly very slightly spurred and he thought he could see a little redness so he fixed it - the fact that she's eating much more today and is livelier suggests there may have been some slight dental problem. She's on baytril for another week (UTI?) and is also on panacur, but hopefully all will be well now and she won't need a return visit.

Touch wood both buns will continue to improve! :wave:

Last edited:
So glad its good news
Butterfly's teeth were checked when she arrived here and were given the ok..so hopefully with lots of hay and grazing they'll see her for another 6 years:D

So glad its good news
Butterfly's teeth were checked when she arrived here and were given the ok..so hopefully with lots of hay and grazing they'll see her for another 6 years:D

Yes, he said it was extremely minor/the very start of burrs - methinks she's a bit of a delicate flower! - and I'm sure that once she's been here longer and joined in the garden-wrecking with the others she'll be set for life!

I'm glad to hear theyre both doing well ,good news indeed!:wave:

Thank you! Butterfly has been running round the garden - specially when I was chasing her with her meds - whereas the day before yesterday she let me walk right up to her...she's clearly on the mend! :)

As for Firefly, Drusilla tried to pinch some of his food tonight and he chased her right across the garden! :shock: She's my dominant doe, so that took some doing! He's usually such a submissive little boy. Not only that, but he was back in his hutch and eating within a few seconds!!!

As for Firefly, Drusilla tried to pinch some of his food tonight and he chased her right across the garden! :shock: She's my dominant doe, so that took some doing! He's usually such a submissive little boy. Not only that, but he was back in his hutch and eating within a few seconds!!!

I'm sure he wouldn't repeat this type of behaviour if Captain Carrot tried to pinch some of his food.:p I'm glad that both bunsters are feeling better. (I am also embarrassed about my Captain Carrot addiction. :shock::oops:)

I'm sure he wouldn't repeat this type of behaviour if Captain Carrot tried to pinch some of his food.:p I'm glad that both bunsters are feeling better. (I am also embarrassed about my Captain Carrot addiction. :shock::oops:)

:lol::lol::lol:

There are probably help groups available for this..Carrots Anonymous....

Yay glad its good news for both of them and way to go Firefly sticking up for your food :lol:

I was amazed! He's been much more adventurous in terms of where he's been hanging out during the day too, bless him! Today I'm going to try three ten minute periods with a warm compress held over his eye. I know that heated poultices are used to bring blood to the surface, and the vet said the main issue is that new blood vessels aren't forming in the eye as fast as he'd like...I'm hoping that three lots of poulticing a day with plain warm water will help with that..anyone got any thoughts? I can't see it would do any harm and potentially I think it would really help...:?

I was amazed! He's been much more adventurous in terms of where he's been hanging out during the day too, bless him! Today I'm going to try three ten minute periods with a warm compress held over his eye. I know that heated poultices are used to bring blood to the surface, and the vet said the main issue is that new blood vessels aren't forming in the eye as fast as he'd like...I'm hoping that three lots of poulticing a day with plain warm water will help with that..anyone got any thoughts? I can't see it would do any harm and potentially I think it would really help...:?

As long as it doesn't stress him and the compress is sterile I dont think it would do any harm :?

Has your Vet mentioned using some of Firefly's own blood to make a serum to put in his eye to promote healing ?

As long as it doesn't stress him and the compress is sterile I dont think it would do any harm :?

Has your Vet mentioned using some of Firefly's own blood to make a serum to put in his eye to promote healing ?

Thanks Jane; yes, I'll used boiled water that has cooled to the right temperature, and sterile dressing.

No he hasn't - maybe because Firefly is nearly seven and a half and he doesn't want to stress him? Would it need an anaesthetic?

Thanks Jane; yes, I'll used boiled water that has cooled to the right temperature, and sterile dressing.

No he hasn't - maybe because Firefly is nearly seven and a half and he doesn't want to stress him? Would it need an anaesthetic?

No, I dont think so

I believe using Insulin directly into the eye has been successful in getting corneal ulcers to heal. Not sure if that might be another option :?

No, I dont think so

I believe using Insulin directly into the eye has been successful in getting corneal ulcers to heal. Not sure if that might be another option :?

Okay; thanks - will mention it to the vet. Firefly's eye looks pretty good this morning - not much discharge overnight at all and he's keeping it open now, which the vet said is a good sign. We just need those blood vessels to get growing!

Back