PDA

View Full Version : Indoor rabbit, allergies and alternatives to straw

abbieken888
30-10-2009, 02:19 PM
I have a 2.5 year old female rabbit, who lives indoors. She has free run of the downstairs, but spends almost all her time in her cage.

At the moment, we are using straw to cover the floor of the plastic cage, and to line the litter tray.

The straw is really irritating OHs eyes, and I wondered if there are any alternatives suitable for bunny? She also does nibble on the straw, despite having an unlimited supply of hay. The straw is unchopped and dust extracted, but still bothers him.

Any ideas most welcome :) She is almost totally litter changed, but does have the occasional accident outside of the litter tray.

Kermit
30-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I have two indoor buns. I dont use straw at all.

In the litter trays i put a thin layer of hay, then some wood pellet litter from Pets at Home, then a big handful of hay for them to eat.

In the base of the cage i have carpet. I just buy the samples from the carpet shop at 1 each. Mine do have accidents outside the tray, but i just spray carpet cleaner and wipe it up, then i replace the carpet once a fortnight :) I used to use towels too, then they can just be washed. The only thing with carpet is that you have to watch for sore hocks.

Really if your bunny is indoors then she doesnt need much in the way of bedding. You could give her a fleece blanket to snuggle into if she wanted, they have pet ones in poundland.

Straw isnt very nutricious for buns anyways, so if you just do without it she will eat her hay :)

seagreen
30-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I just line Tobys indoor hutch with newspaper, he has Catolet in his litter tray & hay in a hay rack.

biscandmatt1
30-10-2009, 03:24 PM
my two have fleece pet blankets to line the cage. then in the litter trays they have newspaper, a layer of megazorb and then hay on top of that.

i'd just get rid of the straw :wave:

Muppet2
01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
My two indoor rabbits have profleece to lie on (which is washable in case of accidents) and their litter trays have newspaper lining and paper litter. No straw anywhere!