• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old where you when you got your 1st rabbit & why?

seagreen

Warren Scout
I was the grand age of 44 when I got my 1st rabbit.

When I was young & growing up, I couldn't see the point of rabbits as pets. Our pets, over the years a cat, a dog & a hamster, all lived indoors with my family & were cared for & loved. A few of my friends had rabbits, of which they showed no interest, the poor things lived ignored in a hutch at the bottom of the garden & caused so many arguments with their parents over cleaning them out I just didn't see them as pets.

I had wanted a pet for years but wouldn't get one as I worked full time. I then heard about house rabbits & how they could be an ideal pet for working people. It took me 5 years & a lot of reading up to decide eventually to get a rabbit & then I heard of someone who wanted to rehome a 9 month old house rabbit. He was well used to a 9 -5 routine & it was agreed he would come on a 2 week trial & after day one I knew he wasn't going back.

He was simply enchanting & I & my O/H fell totally & utterly in love with him. He was a tiny BEW Polish X Nethie who I renamed him Robin & he taught us what a joy it is living with a rabbit.

39!

Walked into pet shop for some fish food. Saw Lola (knew naff all about buns) and knew I could not leave her there without my heart breaking).

Lucy was a Gumtree bunny and I have had her about 10 months now.

My parents bought me rabbits when I was 5. They were my parents responsibility, but I loved them loads. I went out and bought my own rabbit to take responsibly for when I was 22-the wonderful Flash. Now, at 26 we have always had at least 3 rabbits at any one time, and I currently have 16 of my own :D Not sure what life without rabbits is like to be honest.

I was about 14yrs old when I got my first rabbit, Tammy, and my sister had Tammys sister, Clover.

My sisters friends dad bred rabbits so we had 2.

My dad built their hutch (he was a carpenter) and a run though neither could be described as massive they weren't a bad size either. We also researched rabbits before we got them so always fed hay and vegetables although only rabbit mix was available in pet shops then.

Tammy passed suddenly aged about 3, don't know what from, but Clover lived til 7, with a Guinea Pig friend, didn't know any different at the time!

my mam had buns b4 i was born and so id had them from then however she cleaned them etc cos they were hers and i had three or four during the time of growing up while she had 4-5 of her own through out this time

i used to loose interest after loosing them to myxi or them dieing normal deths and my mam like most mams rush out to get u another to help u get over it and id not be interested and shed end up looking after them till id find another i wanted month or so down the line when i was ready to move on from loosing my bun.

nala is my 1st bun ive had to myself and that ive done everything for and made all the decisions for so i would tecnically call her my first and shes my first house bun. so at 21 i finally got a bun i wanted when i was ready lol

I was 29 and Bob is my first Bun. I'd always had hamters and then cats and dogs when growing up. I have loved all animals from the minute I was born I think.

I had always wanted a Bunny but I didn't want to have one locked away in a hutch outside in the dark (clearly we knew very little about them back then and 'hutches' have moved on a lot. And in hindsight perhaps I was a bit thick!!).

Then a friend of a friend told me about her house bunny and I fell in love with the idea. And promptly fell in love with Bob. :love:

I had bunnies as a child...when my mum was alive.She died when I was 5.
I dont recall any bunnies after that until my daughter rescued an unwanted bun when she was about 12.Sad to say,it was a windy night one night and we found Coffee dead the next morning.
It wasnt until my daughter was 23 that I got a bunny quite by accident.
A bun was found in my neighbours garden..she took bun back to the owners but there was no room as the cat had given birth to kittens in buns hutch so I took bun to work with me,(worked on a farm) but cos of Myxi,bun was denied any room.I took bun home.That was that...Mrs Bun was firmly in my home and my heart.
Got 2 more since!!!!! I wont go into how I got them,but some folk know the stories!!
And Im almost 43!!!

11 years old, June 2001 - Stanley :love:

I was obsessed with them for years but my parents made we wait :evil::lol:

I was 23 when I got my first bun. I bought my house then and the previous owner loved her rabbits and had a customised wendy house in the garden. I didnt see the point of having that and no rabbits so decided to rescue one. I first got Benjamin, who had been in a dog rescue centre for a year kept in a tiny hutch and carried about by his ears. He was quickly followed by his wife Audrey and I have never looked back... am currently considered turning my pair into a trio (or foursome!!!):D

I was 23 when I got my first bun. I bought my house then and the previous owner loved her rabbits and had a customised wendy house in the garden. I didnt see the point of having that and no rabbits so decided to rescue one. I first got Benjamin, who had been in a dog rescue centre for a year kept in a tiny hutch and carried about by his ears. He was quickly followed by his wife Audrey and I have never looked back... am currently considered turning my pair into a trio (or foursome!!!):D

Ahh, that's a really nice story! :) Lucky Benjamin.

It was 26 years ago I got my first 2 rabbits and I am in my 50's now and I have had rabbits ever since with a two year break when I had none.

Nermal was a 24th birthday present for me earlier this year! I got him a couple of weeks before my bday in Feb, as I already have a chinchilla who doesn't really like being cuddled (ok, hates it...) and I wanted a "cuddly" pet.. Well, I got what I wished for! The big baby is now 11 months old (he is one on 10 November), and has just acquired a friend, 12 week old Phoebe.

Someone in my work has bet me £50 I'll have another one by April!

(my mum didn't let me have pets when I was young so now that I'm a responsible homeowner I'm making up for it :D)

35 - it was unintentional. Visited my sister in Liverpool Christmas 2001, visited a friend of hers whose daughter could no longer keep her rabbit. He came to me and let me pet him so I said okay I'll look after him! But we had rabbits on and off growing up. None lasted more than 3 years as we were pretty ignorant :(. I've had my two now for 8 and 6 years.

My hamster "Sparki" dies and I was so upset I wanted a pet that lived longer

Found out the hard way, life does not always go to plan

I was 20 when I got my first bunny,
I didnt choose to have rabbits, she chose me. I found her on the street and fell in love with her.
Then I got my second bunny brian a few months ago.

I was 7 :D Her name was Charlotte (Lottie for short) and she was a territorial black and white dutch, a lady at a yard my dad shod at had mum and babies in a stable. My sister had Lotties sister and called her Harriet.

They lived in a 8ftx8ftx6ft covered avairy with two hutches. We spent hours making tunnels through the horse bedding in the stables in the day for the bunnies to play in. Lottie used to like grooming through my hair :D they had a 8ftx6ft run my dad made on the lawn and were also allowed free range when we were home. Unfortunately neither were ever spayed, we didnt know any better at the time :(

Looking back we overfed them, Harriet was overwieght and got flystrike when she was 8, we washed her bottom everyday, she had to be put down and we were deverstated. Lottie died a year later.

I was 17. I missed having a pet that was just mine that I could still cuddle and because I was pretty depressed and alone I got Charlie. It worked coz I have to get up for him no matter what, and he's happy so all worked well :love:

15, it took me over 10 years of asking for a bunny to finally get one :shock:

(although I had been part-looking after my neighbour's rabbits since I was about 8 so I wasn't a total newbie when I got my own :wave: )

Back