• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best long term probiotic?

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
As Poppy is on antibiotics I wanted to give her guts some protection - the last thing she needs is stasis on top of her potential lower respiratory infection.

I've not given my buns injectable abx before but believe there is still 'some' risk to caecal flora, although obviously less so than oral abx.
For the last 3 days she's been having what I usually give - Fibreplex. But the info sheet states 1-2 days course. Does anyone else give Fibreplex long term without issue or been advised to do so?

I bought some biolapis - as felt this would be an easier one to use long term but she jumps away if she smells it in her water. I persisted for an hour but finally decided that as she clearly wanted to drink keeping her hydrated, esp important in respiratory infections I have read, was more important. So today we tried biolapis in syringe flavoured with dilute apple juice - tested it on Nino...but then Nino would take arsenic in a syringe if i offered it to him! :roll::lol: Again, Poppy no luck, she's not interested at all. :(
Anyone have success with Avipro? Is it considered better for 'long term' use than fibreplex?
Thank you in advance :)

I don't know which is best as a probiotic, but isn't Fibreplex the paste that also provides fibre if they're not eating? If it is, if bun is eating ok I'd always go for one of the powdered ones (Avipro or Bio-Lapis) for fear of Fibreplex making them feel full and so discouraging them from eating their hay.

Mango had Avipro for a long time, and she loved it. After a while though, she started having bouts of gas, and when I talked with my vet we wondered if it was because it contained quite a lot of sugar. I can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm sneaking on here at work :oops: so I can't look in the cupboard, but I seem to remember it had dextrose or something in it. So then we changed her to Bio-Lapis, which doesn't, and which she had long-term with no trouble at all.

Chutney is now having Bio-Lapis long term too, and takes it great. How are you giving it? Rather than put it in her normal drinking water I make a sachet up with 50 mL of water (as on the instructions), then give it 8 seconds in the microwave, to make it nice and warm, and she just drinks it. I can even mix her Baytril in it and she drinks it up herself :thumb: She has it each morning, then just normal water the rest of the time, so maybe that's worth a try?

ETA sorry - you said you tried giving it in a syringe with apple juice :oops: It might be that she's feeling a bit suspicious of you just now and if you warm it up in a little bowl then give it as if it's an exciting treat, with all the accompanying silly noises :lol: (rather than her seeing a syringe) she'll just drink it. Or maybe with a bit of pineapple juice added in at first? I'm sure Bio-Lapis can't have a horrid taste if it's good enough to cover the taste of Baytril (which Chuttle-bun detests).

Last edited:
I don't know which is best as a probiotic, but isn't Fibreplex the paste that also provides fibre if they're not eating? If it is, if bun is eating ok I'd always go for one of the powdered ones (Avipro or Bio-Lapis) for fear of Fibreplex making them feel full and so discouraging them from eating their hay.

Mango had Avipro for a long time, and she loved it. After a while though, she started having bouts of gas, and when I talked with my vet we wondered if it was because it contained quite a lot of sugar. I can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm sneaking on here at work :oops: so I can't look in the cupboard, but I seem to remember it had dextrose or something in it. So then we changed her to Bio-Lapis, which doesn't, and which she had long-term with no trouble at all.

Chutney is now having Bio-Lapis long term too, and takes it great. How are you giving it? Rather than put it in her normal drinking water I make a sachet up with 50 mL of water (as on the instructions), then give it 8 seconds in the microwave, to make it nice and warm, and she just drinks it. I can even mix her Baytril in it and she drinks it up herself :thumb: She has it each morning, then just normal water the rest of the time, so maybe that's worth a try?

Thank you for replying Wendy-Jane esp as you've sneaked on at work. :)

I have never bought Avipro before and had no idea what ingredients were in so thank you. If it does have dextrose in then it is definitely off limits for my buns. Neither can tolerate even long-chain sugars/starch and are on a hay/veg diet only, therefore daily dextrose would cause havoc with their guts. Thanks for the warning :thumb:

I've only ever used fibreplex for anorexic buns too but it doesn't seem to be limiting her appetite - she's still eating like a horse, they only have hay and veg anyway, her appetite is normal.
Biolapis causes her to shrink away from her bowl of water in fear, same when I offered it by syringe - she does not like the smell so I won't persist with this, anything I give will have to be voluntarily taken otherwise it's too much stress for her. Looks like chatting to the vet about continuing the fibreplex is my best bet then. She will 'hopefully' finish her course of abx next week so I suppose I was planning ahead in case she needed them long term.
Thanks again for replying, much appreciated. :)

ETA yes I too am surprised she does not like it. She takes other medicines from a syringe offered to her when she is well. (Except baytril of course!) It's a different matter if she is off food altogether. I offered her the fibreplex immediately after and she almost took the syringe out of my hand! :roll: Fibreplex yummy! Biolapis yucky!! :roll: Very odd, like I say, my other bun was only to happy to be test subject today on biolapis :lol:

Last edited:
Hi,
Bob has on-going tummy problems so we have to feed him this: http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Protexin-Pro-Fibre-for-Rabbits-and-Small-Pets/productinfo/PROTEXPFR/

It's been great. It's made by the same people as Fibreplex but it's something you can add to feed every day and Bob's been on it for well over a year now. It's really made a difference to his poor tummy. It's expensive but well worth it IMO.

Also, my very Bun-savvy vet said not to give Fibreplex on a prolonged basis because it has sugars in it which ultimately aren't ideal for problem tummies. It has carrot flavouring in it so I think the additives aren't great for long-term use. It's great for additional fibre and getting the tum going though obviously (before people shout at me! :))

Hi,
Bob has on-going tummy problems so we have to feed him this: http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Protexin-Pro-Fibre-for-Rabbits-and-Small-Pets/productinfo/PROTEXPFR/

It's been great. It's made by the same people as Fibreplex but it's something you can add to feed every day and Bob's been on it for well over a year now. It's really made a difference to his poor tummy. It's expensive but well worth it IMO.

Also, my very Bun-savvy vet said not to give Fibreplex on a prolonged basis because it has sugars in it which ultimately aren't ideal for problem tummies. It has carrot flavouring in it so I think the additives aren't great for long-term use. It's great for additional fibre and getting the tum going though obviously (before people shout at me! :))

Thanks BobbleG :) Yes I have heard about that product before a few years back so will keep it in mind if I do need something long term. Fibre intake isn't an issue, it's more the probiotics i'm after but it seems good.
No, that is a very good point about the fibreplex - i was reading the ingreds. on it this morning and thinking this probably isn't ideal long term at all. Fantastic in the short term when a bun is in acute stasis or caecal dysbiosis but as someone who steers away from anything commercial or 'human' food for my buns, i'm a mean bunny mummy! :lol: it would be a bit daft of me to continue using it long term. I think I will leave it all off for now, see how she goes on the next few shots of abx and hopefully that will be all she needs.
I will use what you posted above if I need something longterm. Thank you so much :)

i've only used bio lapis with eric but he wouldn't touch the water it was in at all. managed to get around that by sprinkling it on a wet spring green leaf - even thats traumatic with him as sometimes he'd eat around it or just leave it. i found that if i left his discarded leaf lying on the floor and offered no more, he would eventually eat it. (gotta be cruel to be kind:oops:)

i've only used bio lapis with eric but he wouldn't touch the water it was in at all. managed to get around that by sprinkling it on a wet spring green leaf - even thats traumatic with him as sometimes he'd eat around it or just leave it. i found that if i left his discarded leaf lying on the floor and offered no more, he would eventually eat it. (gotta be cruel to be kind:oops:)

Eric is a very clever bun! :lol: Have you thought about the protexin pellets instead as well? I'm glad Poppy is not the only one who turns her nose up at biolapis! :roll::)

Thanks BobbleG :) Yes I have heard about that product before a few years back so will keep it in mind if I do need something long term. Fibre intake isn't an issue, it's more the probiotics i'm after but it seems good.
No, that is a very good point about the fibreplex - i was reading the ingreds. on it this morning and thinking this probably isn't ideal long term at all. Fantastic in the short term when a bun is in acute stasis or caecal dysbiosis but as someone who steers away from anything commercial or 'human' food for my buns, i'm a mean bunny mummy! :lol: it would be a bit daft of me to continue using it long term. I think I will leave it all off for now, see how she goes on the next few shots of abx and hopefully that will be all she needs.
I will use what you posted above if I need something longterm. Thank you so much :)

:) My pleasure. The bumpf on Pro-Fibre explains all about the probiotics and why it's so good for tums, so it's good to know for the future.

I wish Poppy a speedy recovery. x

Perhaps BobbleG's suggestion might be helpful for Matt and Bisc too as a less sugary alternative?:) :wave:

ETA hoping they are both in good spirits today! :wave:

i didn't even know it was sugary! i will speak to the vet next time and see what he would recommend. he did say it was ok when i asked...but if there is something better, i would rather use that.

I use Avi-pro when needed. Ted doesn't notice any difference to the taste! If I remember correctly it doesn't say you can't use it as a long-term thing. He's using it now, and I haven't noticed any gas. Saying all this, he's so laid back and food mad I wonder if he'd be any different without!:lol::lol::lol:

I didn't mean to make anyone using Avipro long term worry :oops: I'm sure it's fine. :D
I think that because my buns are not used to much carbohydrate in their diet at all, no pellets ever, that I should be more careful about any extra :wave:

Eric is a very clever bun! :lol: Have you thought about the protexin pellets instead as well? I'm glad Poppy is not the only one who turns her nose up at biolapis! :roll::)

lord eric turns his nose up at anything 'medical' - i swear its the stress of the v-e-t that sends his tum peculiar sometimes:? i will definitely bear the protexin pellets in mind in case i have any future pro-biotic traumas (fingers crossed i won't!).

i hope poppy is doing well today?

lord eric turns his nose up at anything 'medical' - i swear its the stress of the v-e-t that sends his tum peculiar sometimes:? i will definitely bear the protexin pellets in mind in case i have any future pro-biotic traumas (fingers crossed i won't!).

i hope poppy is doing well today?

Yes thank you Poppymoon she 'appears' to be much better again today and I have updated my original thread.
Funnily enough my stasis/bloat prone bun used to not respond well to the vet trips - but we've had so many recently with Poppy poorly that this morning he simply lay flopped out on his side all the way in the car and remained in this position whilst being carried all the way across the carpark and to the clinic reception through P@H! :shock::lol:

I think probiotics are probably more use when on oral antibiotics. Antibiotics given by sub-q injection shouldn't really cause tummy upsets.

If you're unlucky and your rabbit happens to have a bad reaction to sub-q antibiotics...which is very rare if you stick to the 'safer' types (i.e. not ampicillin, amoxicillin, etc...then something like questran would be more use because it actually binds the toxins caused by the 'bad' bacteria and helps them to pass.

I know some people don't believe in probiotics because the bacteria they contain would never normally be found in the gut of a rabbit, but I've found fibreplex, avipro, pro-C, and bio-lapis all really useful. All my rabbits really like the taste of Pro-C so I put it in their water if needed

I think probiotics are probably more use when on oral antibiotics. Antibiotics given by sub-q injection shouldn't really cause tummy upsets.

If you're unlucky and your rabbit happens to have a bad reaction to sub-q antibiotics...which is very rare if you stick to the 'safer' types (i.e. not ampicillin, amoxicillin, etc...then something like questran would be more use because it actually binds the toxins caused by the 'bad' bacteria and helps them to pass.

I know some people don't believe in probiotics because the bacteria they contain would never normally be found in the gut of a rabbit, but I've found fibreplex, avipro, pro-C, and bio-lapis all really useful. All my rabbits really like the taste of Pro-C so I put it in their water if needed

Thank you for this info, it is very reassuring to hear this, especially as i'm not experienced with injectable antibiotics in rabbits. I understand that there is 'some' gut interaction through the vascular system but obviously this will be minimal to oral antibiotics. So far so good with Poppy and her tetracycline though so i'm pleased *touches wood* :)

I've also wondered that about probiotics - it's a very good point. But like you i've found fibreplex very helpful regardless, when needed. Thanks again for putting my mind at rest. :wave:

Back