• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cleaning out the hutch?

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
How long will i need to leave the hutch after i have cleaned it with disinfectant to kill off any myxi bugs ?? it is a almost brand new 6ft hutch and we would either like to donate it to a rabbit rescue or if they dont need it sell it.

I would think scrubbing it with a bleach solution would be worthwhile. Whoever you give it to though let them know what happened to the bun in it and what you have done to try and clean it.

i once got told to burn my hutch when it had bun with myxi in it when i was like 10yrs old

dunno if its true tho :roll:

Why? Myxi is spread by direct contact with an infected animal , or by by being bitten by an insect which has bitten an infected rabbit, so normal disinfectant washing should be fine. My trio are still living in the hutch which Bournville and Floss lived in. She didn't die of myxi but had the nodular form.

Why? Myxi is spread by direct contact with an infected animal , or by by being bitten by an insect which has bitten an infected rabbit, so normal disinfectant washing should be fine. My trio are still living in the hutch which Bournville and Floss lived in. She didn't die of myxi but had the nodular form.

I have to say thats my thinking on it too but I've yet to confirm with my vet that its certainly the case ....I have a hutch thats been cleaned out with bleach and jeyes but is still sitting empty .

I honestly can't see that it would be a problem. It would be different if the bunny had ringworm or coccidiosis though

Myxi is a virus so it shouldn't be able to survive for too long without a host (I say 'survive' but it's not technically alive...). I would have thought it would be fine if you just scrubbed it out with bleach...

Not 100% on it though...

I have a feeling someone said that it can be passed by the mucous membranes and open wounds, which may affect it?

Back