• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy lost weight. (been to vet)

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Took Ted to the vet this morning about his weight issue. She commented on what a stunning beast he was :lol: and then checked him over. He was so relaxed she could count his heart beat (which is impossible on a stressed bun!)

She felt his tummy, which is fine, his eyes, ears and his teeth. He was fine with the first side and only put up minimal fuss but wouldn't let her go in the right side! :roll::roll: Poor boy! His teeth are all perfect, no spurs or anything sinister.

she agreed that, whilst still glossy, he didn't have the condition he should have. He feels a bit greasy on his back. No fleas/mites. She could also feel his spine. It's not really prominent but is noticably sticking out, as are the bones around his bottom.:(:(

I last had him weighed in August and he was 5.75kg. As a growing Frenchie he has got far bigger (size wise) and has been chunky until this past week. He was weighed today and is 5.45kg. That means he's had a 300g weight loss in no more than the last few weeks AND he's still grown!!!!:shock::shock::cry::cry::cry:

She sent me home with worming stuff, and then I'm taking him back in two weeks (sooner if he goes downhill.) If it doesn't get better then they'll take blood and test it.

I'm worrying about my little boy! I know how much he's grown and he should weigh far more than this!!

Awww Ali.I cant give any useful advice,cept to say youre doing all the right things.Just keep that up.
What is the stuff you have?? Is it panacur?? I have reason to think this is 28 days and certain cage treatments on 21 days or something like that,but odds are,Im as thick as a plank and its all the wrong stuff I have just said.But Hey ho.
Someone is bound to have told you (your vet) the way to go with the stuff you have....
Paws crossed it will sort the problem of the weight loss.
As long as hes still a happy,hungry bun and munching........xxx

Awww Ali.I cant give any useful advice,cept to say youre doing all the right things.Just keep that up.
What is the stuff you have?? Is it panacur?? I have reason to think this is 28 days and certain cage treatments on 21 days or something like that,but odds are,Im as thick as a plank and its all the wrong stuff I have just said.But Hey ho.
Someone is bound to have told you (your vet) the way to go with the stuff you have....
Paws crossed it will sort the problem of the weight loss.
As long as hes still a happy,hungry bun and munching........xxx

I'm taking his poo in tomorrow to be looked at. His breeder has told me not to worry (But knows I will!!) and if he does have anything wrong then I've caught it very early. Worms crossed her mind, so that will determine it.

He's eating and pooping! I'm still worried though!!:(:(

What have you got to give him,meds wise???

It's called Lapizole (anyone heard of it?) It's for the prevention and treatment of E-cuniculi infestations and internal parasites of buns and other small animals.

He's on it for 5 days now and then carry on in three months.

I've been using Panacur liquid as I read Lapizole could be hard to administer. I believe the RWA reccomend 28 days. However I think that is more to do with EC and I would guess that for worming purposes the shorter period would be sufficient. I'm new to this worming lark so forgive me if I've got that wrong.

I think she is focusing on the worms rather than EC. I'll suggest Pancur after if it doesn't improve.

Many thanks!!!

I think Panacur and Lapizole are exactly the same stuff, as in they have the same active ingredient - I think you just give a higher dose of one of them as its not as strong.

Panacur & Lapizole are the same thing both have Fenbendazole as the active ingredient.

You only need the longer treatment for EC.

Vibes for Teddy xx

Tinkerbell was prescribed Lapizole when she had her headtilt.

Sorry no idea what could be wrong but hope it gets sorted with the Lapizole :D

Don't suppose you've changed feed or anything lately? - some have lower protien levels which might account for it.

I haven't changed his food. He's been on Mr Johnsons Supreme Science mix and, whilst he is growing, I am free feeding him. He always finishes the whole bowl before he gets more. It is high protein, needed for healthy growth in Frenchies. The person I got Ted from uses Mr Johnsons for all her Frenchies and they all have grown wonderfully on it. Most of his siblings are on it. (The ones who aren't haven't grown nearly as big.)

I'll see how the Lapizole goes. She didn't mention EC and I don't think it has anything to do with that. It is just weight loss and a loss of condition. He is still doing Earth-shattering Binkies and flopping like normal.

I'm out of ideas then I'm afraid, my only other suggestion would be burning more energy keeping warm but its still quite mild and anyway Teddy is a house bun isn't he? As long as he's happy and binkying I'd not worry too much. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

If he doesn't put his weight back on soon then perhaps some bloods done as a precaution might be a good idea? If he's so laid back at the vet i'm sure he won't mind a little needle in his ear, and it might put your mind at rest about more sinister diagnoses. Hope Teddy perks up soon. :)

Just had a little thought, I wonder if it could be related to all the stress and changes you have both been through recently? Buns are very susceptible to stress both themselves, and picked up off our emotions. Hoping once you are all settled things will improve for you all. :)

If he doesn't put his weight back on soon then perhaps some bloods done as a precaution might be a good idea? If he's so laid back at the vet i'm sure he won't mind a little needle in his ear, and it might put your mind at rest about more sinister diagnoses. Hope Teddy perks up soon. :)

Just had a little thought, I wonder if it could be related to all the stress and changes you have both been through recently? Buns are very susceptible to stress both themselves, and picked up off our emotions. Hoping once you are all settled things will improve for you all. :)

I did think about stress, but he hasn't displayed any signs. If he's not happy then he gets REALLY stroppy, ignoring me, hopping away, looking glum. He knows my mums house and just seems happy to have so much space to hop about in (It's a 6 bed house). He's eating like normal, so I'm not sure it's stress. It's a lot of weight to lose over two weeks. He has noticed that I'm feeling down and Knows if I need a snuggle and will hop up onto my lap. I love him so much and just can't bear anything happening to him.

We're going back in two weeks (one if it gets worse) to see how he is and she said that she might send some bloods off. I think I'll ask for that unless he is putting weight on. I'll see what the poo sample says.

Back