PDA

View Full Version : New to the whole rabbit thing

cd02
30-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi Ppl.. Kinda new here, already got one thread posted about sneezing but thought I'd come here and ask some general questions if thats okay ?

Firstly, this is the first time I've had a pet rabbit, the girlfriend decided we were having one and that was that. We've decided to keep her in-doors due to limited garden space and alot of wild cats/foxes in the area.

So far everything seems to be going good but I'm starting to question if we're doing this correctly.

We have a cage that she's in while we're out and during the night which was recommended by the pet shop. On the base we put wood shavings, straw in one area and then have a littre tray with wood based cat litter (which she's slowly starting to use).

Is woodshavings the right thing to use? As i've seen some ppl just put newspaper and straw on the base. Is the woodbased cat litter okay? Is there anything we should be using or she's missing?

We let her out all the time we're here and she has the run of the house (something she took advantage of while we were on holiday and my mum was house sitting; caused some rather nice damage to walls/carpet but slowly stopping that thanks to some apple spray). We also have an out door run which she goes in whenever we can get up my girlfriends mums.

Here's a quick picture of her as I think she's real cute lol

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs267.snc1/9418_140482163928_749553928_2511736_1865814_n.jpg

Any help/advice would be appreicated.

capel
30-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi:wave: And a big welcome to the forum. She's a beauty but what's her name?:lol:
Mine are all outdoor rabbits, but when they've been indoors due to recovering from this and that(!!) I've used large puppy training pads in the base of the crate covered with newspaper and then hay which meant that I had to only change the newspaper when necessary as the pad kept the base of the crate protected so I didn't have to wash it every day. How big is the crate? So many of the pet shop ones are really too small to keep a bunny cooped up in for long periods. Another thing you could do is let her live in the bathroom when you are out..all you need to do it put her litter tray in a corner, provide her with a hay-filled carboard box that she can chose to hide in or destroy, a bowl of water(:lol::roll:) and make sure the toilet lid is down. Bathrooms are esp good as most of the surfaces are generally wipe clean, nor are there any chewable wires to tempt her!

Tamsin
30-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Aww, what a cutie!

With a litter trained house rabbit you only need litter in the tray, as they don't need it for warmth or mopping up wees. You might find removing it helps with the litter training as it makes it less like a big littertray.

Again they don't need straw for warmth inside so a big pile of hay for eating would be better as she can nap and munch at the same time :)

*Spider*
30-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't use straw but hay as bunnies should be eating their body size in hay every day!
They love to eat and wee and poo in their litter trays :lol:
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Muppet2
30-10-2009, 12:29 PM
You seem to be doing well so far :D Having a rabbit indoors is a great way to keep them (though strangely untidy... :lol:) and you find out so much more about them.

We have a cage that she's in while we're out and during the night which was recommended by the pet shop. On the base we put wood shavings, straw in one area and then have a littre tray with wood based cat litter (which she's slowly starting to use).

I started off like this but soon learned that sawdust gets trekked EVERYWHERE throughout the house!

My set-up for Muppet's cage was then changed to:
* litter tray one end - lined with newspaper, paper litter on top and hay at one end of the tray for munching
* profleece (like vet bed) at the other end with his food bowl/more hay for munching
* water bowl outside the cage.

His cage was open all the time as it was in a room where he couldnt do any damage (and nothing could hurt him). I second what Capel says about cage size: what pet shops 'recommend' is normally too small. And I've seen for myself how much happier Muppet is with more space (and he's only a small rabbit).

Have fun :wave:

Snowberry
30-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I have bunnies indoors and would never use sawdust, especially because of the mess it makes! It can also make bunnies sneeze.

I use a litter tray lined with newspaper and put P@H wood pellet cat litter in. They also have a large under bed storage box filled with hay but they do tend to wee and poo in here too so I change it regularly.

I also wouldnt use straw inside as there is no real use for it and again it makes a mess. Just plenty of hay as they need to eat lots to keep there teeth healthy.

rachylou
30-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Hiya and another welcome to the forum, this really is a great place to get lots of answers.
She is adorable!!
I personally would not use wood shavings, they have been linked to causing liver and breathing problems so prob best to avoid.
As a cage base you could just use newspaper topped with hay so she can eat as much as she likes.
I would avoid using straw as in the warmth of the house it is not really needed and she may choose to eat the straw and not the hay, this is what our little boy Jimbles did. Straw does not have the fibre and nutrients in it that hay does and that buns need to be healthy.
The cat litter you use, do you know if it is of the clumping variety? If it is then it is not suitable for buns as can potentially cause a blockage if injested.
We have started using NATURALS LUXURY NATURAL LITTER which we are finding to be very good, or there is actually a rabbit safe litter in pets at home I think it is called 'Wood based litter for small animals'.
Again as it has been said above the cages that the pet shop recommends are rarely the correct size, they are usually just trying to make a sale, we have been advised to make a cage for Jimby by the bunny mummys on here, which we are doing this sunday, we have brought the wire mesh pannels from Amazon and are going to build a basic cage for him to begin with then build an extension once we have drawn out the floor plans :lol:
I think the basic guild is that the cage should be high enough for the bun to reach right up when on back legs, long enough for them to strech out fully and should be 4-6 times the size of your bun.
Feel free to ask lots more questions. :wave: