• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting medication into a bunny -loads of it!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Wish me luck :? I'm useless as syringing meds and I really don't want to stress him.

For a while Artie needs, daily:

6 drops metacam
1/2 tablet of Frusemide (diuretic) twice a day
1.3ml Domperidone x 2 (I think this combats stomach acid)
Baytril (0.25ml) twice a day.

As the Baytril tastes bad I've decided to try it on a Fenugreek Crunchie - hopefully the crunchie will taste strong enough for the Baytril to be disguised

I've cut his tablet up and pushed it into a piece of apple (which should be a good thing for him to have daily anyway)

The metacam I've put on a piece of bread.

I'm at a loss as to what to do with the Domperidone though as there's loads of it :? It's the drug I'm least worried about as he is eating quite well so I'm assuming it won't be necessary when he's eating properly.

If anybody has any suggestions of how to sneak 1.3ml of liquid into him I'd be grateful :D

No suggestions I'm afraid, but good luck! Hope he'll be a good boy and eat up all his medicines :)

Thank you.

He didn't eat the Fenugreek Crunchie/Baytril so I had to put the Baytril on bread but he's now eaten it.

I've not even attempted the Domperidone as I think syringing it would be counterproductive and he's eating well.

He's had all his other meds though :love::love:

It's gets easier with time - they seem to get resigned. In the end the toughest rabbit I ever had to give medicine used to grab the end of the syringe from me and swallow with a really grumpy "oh, let's get it over with" look on her face cause she knew that it was going to go into her one way or another:lol: They do guilt you out though...

It's gets easier with time - they seem to get resigned. In the end the toughest rabbit I ever had to give medicine used to grab the end of the syringe from me and swallow with a really grumpy "oh, let's get it over with" look on her face cause she knew that it was going to go into her one way or another:lol: They do guilt you out though...

Thanks. They always give feedback from the vets that he's taking syringe feeds well, so I guess he gets resigned to it there - he's just not that keen on letting this amateur get meds in him :roll: Perhaps I should ask them to demonstrate so I know how to be firm with him without scaring him.

Cherry is on baytril and metacam, but I am syringing it. However, she is a human centred bunny, so is not too bothered, especially as it is once a day.

I do have them both ready so I can get them done in mimimum time

im finally there with pearl. weve gone from 0.5ml down my hand, all over the towel and floor.

to 1 whole ml in her mouth, has taken weeks to get her to accept this is her new life tho :(

eta - a towel over her even over the eyes and me leaning over her really works well, must better than when i was trying to pick her up

Mushing it up with a tiny piece of banana may work, since they are so strong tasting.

:lol:
I was about to say - hide stuff in mashed up banana!
If I have to syringe stuff I make sure they get a reward (usually parsley) once I put them down. Now they always expect it (especially the one who didn't get any meds!)

Have I got the only bunny in the world that doesn't like 'nana? :roll::lol::lol:

I'm hiding 3 of the medicines in food easily but it's the volume of the fourth medicine - 1.3ml is quite a lot - I would take a huge chunk of banana to hide that in, I suppose I could have a go at mashing his apple though, that might work :?

Have I got the only bunny in the world that doesn't like 'nana? :roll::lol::lol:

No! Rosie won't touch banana either. :roll: I keep reading how much other people's buns love it. :lol:

I'm having to syringe feeds her loads of meds at the moment too - including 1.25ml of Baytril a day. :shock: She hates it and I'm not that great at syringe feeding either. Really stressful. :( She would kill for her Metacam (honey juice!) though - she loves it.

Hope Artie is better soon.

No! Rosie won't touch banana either. :roll: I keep reading how much other people's buns love it. :lol:

I'm having to syringe feeds her loads of meds at the moment too - including 1.25ml of Baytril a day. :shock: She hates it and I'm not that great at syringe feeding either. Really stressful. :( She would kill for her Metacam (honey juice!) though - she loves it.
Hope Artie is better soon.

Oh, thanks for that. I've been trying hard to disguise Metacam (I used to put it in raisins) but if it doesn't taste bad then I don't have to try as hard. Baytril is definitely the one they don't like. Though, bless him, he's eaten it on bread a couple of times now. The tablet he gets is so small he will hardly notice it.

Well, hopefully he will like the Metacam, but as with the banana, I suppose they all have different tastes!

Sometimes I put the Metacam on a wee saucer and Rosie laps it up, because if she gets a whiff of it in a syringe, I can't get it near her mouth - she tries to grab the whole thing out of my hand and eat it. :shock: :lol:

Back