• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone got buns on antibiotics permanently?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I've got a couple of buns who will probably need to be on penicillin for the rest of their lives. They are both very happy and lively, but it still makes me sad to think that they'll never be truly 'healthy' again without having a needle stuck into them every couple of days :(

Anybody else got a bunny in the same situation? :wave:

Yes, I have quite a few on permanant medication, my longest is Mabel, it's been 3 years since she arrived and has been on meds all that time and always will be, I do not pulse treat, we tried that and found it did more damage than good

Yes, I have quite a few on permanant medication, my longest is Mabel, it's been 3 years since she arrived and has been on meds all that time and always will be, I do not pulse treat, we tried that and found it did more damage than good

Yeah, I've never seen the point in pulse treating really...my old vet was mad on it, but my current one has never suggested it would do any good

The worst thing is that I've run out of good injection sites on one bun...I've had to start injecting in the loose skin on his sides, and no doubt I'll end up working backwards as time goes on ( :( )

I'd feel even worse if seemed 'poorly' but atm he's doing binkies and the 'bunny 500' around the living room, so I think I'm doing right thing by him atm

Not my bunnies, but some of my rats have never gone more than a couple of days before being put on more antibiotics :( Usually alternating different combos of meds, they do better while they are on antibiotics but their resp problems never fully clear up and are back to sounding awful after they have finished a course so have to start again :(

It makes me sad that they are never going to be healthy, although its easy to get meds into rats all my boys have been happy to take them so long as they are put in something yummy. I would probably feel worse if giving the meds was stressful for them but they seriously all just snatch the spoon off me the second I open the cage. I do other things every day to try and ease their breathing too though which I think also helps them to feel better

I try to reassure myself that they are happy and comfortable, which I am sure they are but I still feel sad about it

Probably no help because rats are different to bunnies though x

Yeah, I've never seen the point in pulse treating really...my old vet was mad on it, but my current one has never suggested it would do any good

We have tried it with several different bunnies and as I said it caused more problems, but I have around 14 on permanant medication, it used to worry me but now I know it's really needed and they get used to it.

Grim's on Depocillin. And my other half is allergic to it...
It's not great that he has to be on medication for the rest of his life, but I was told to put him down 'for his own good' a few months ago and now he's one of the happiest, cheekiest bunnies I've ever known. They get used to having the medication and at least it gives them a good life. :)

well a breeder i know in Kent has had his on for 4yrs now not had any problems:) and there are many more that use it with success

I prefer to follow up-to date Veterinary advice rather than out-dated 'treatments' advised by Breeders

I hope that you advise anyone buying one of your Hares that if they stop the medicated pellets they may well end up with a seriously ill or dead Rabbit and that they should consult a Vet before changing the diet

Last edited:
I prefer to follow up-to date Veterinary advice rather than out-dated 'treatments' advised by Breeders

I hope that you advise anyone buying one of your Hares that if they stop the medicated pellets they may well end up with a seriously ill or dead Rabbit

if you carefully read to what i have wrote you would see that it says a few of my hares are on them not all these are the ones im keeping and will stay with me and not be bred from because of their weak tums:roll:

I've got a couple of buns who will probably need to be on penicillin for the rest of their lives. They are both very happy and lively, but it still makes me sad to think that they'll never be truly 'healthy' again without having a needle stuck into them every couple of days :(

Anybody else got a bunny in the same situation? :wave:

Ooh am glad you've posted this as I'm in the same situation now. Maddie has had osteomyellitis confirmed in her jaw and is on Dupaphen injections. My vet says he can't argue against continuing the jabs, so at the moment we are taking it week by week as to how long to continue them for. He doesn't seem too keen on the "life long" option though.

My OH says to do them for the rest of her life as its the only chance shes got - but it doesn't sit quite right with me. Maddie is VERY lively and happy as ever, so want to do all I can for her, but I know exactly where you are coming from.

If she was to take a turn for the worse - and therefore the abx weren't working anymore - then I'd reconsider possibly, but at the moment its the only chance she has really....

We have a couple on permenant depocillin. However with one we are only injecting twice a week to make sure problems in her mouth dont develop. The other bun has multiple issues - teeth, urinary infection, abcess - god knows when he will be off the depocillin!

Back