• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit Marley not eating much Veg

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
Hi
Does anyone else have bunnies that don't really like veg, Marley is 6 months old, but turns his nose up at most fresh food I try to give him, The only thing he really eats is spring greens, he nibbles a small amount of carrot but leaves the rest , doesn't like kale, parsley, cauliflower, brocoli, parsnip, pear, apple, pak choi, etc: anyone else have fussy buns??????

Yop, Grim hardly eats any. And if he likes, say carrots, one week, the next he doesn't. :lol:

I just keep trying different things. It doesn't work, but I keep trying.

They don't need veg in their diet to be healthy. If he is eating unlimited hay and pellets then that's what he needs to be healthy. You could use veg as a treat if he is not keen on it.

What about grass? does he like grass?

Remember to introduce things slowly to protect his gut. Sometimes some buns take a while to build up their confidence with foods so can take a while to 'take' to them.

PS- I volunteer with the local RSPCA, if you decide you want a girlfriend for Marley when he is neutered then feel free to come and check us out. I'll be the one who does the home visit and stuff. Also, if you have any questions about good vets in the area, or anything at all that I might be able to help with then feel free to PM me :)

Last edited:
he looks like a nethie also quite similar to my rosie nethie :) ? nethies are often quite nervous and very fussy. Just make sure that he has access to good quality hay all day every day and feed him a small (egg cup full) of pellets in the morning and try giving him a small selection of veg in the evening (one type of veg only and small amounts to begin with) with perhaps another scattering of pellets in the evening. Eventually you will find something that he likes and you can build on that, introducing all new veg that he likes slowly. You can try

apple
carrot
bananna
parsley
grass (if he does not already have access)
brocolli
spring greens
dandilions
other herbs

which are all quite tempting for bunnies.

Ultimately the best way to get a fussy bunny eating properly is to get them neutered and bonded to another bunny. it's amazing how much more interested they are in food when they see another bunny trying to eat theirs.

Ultimately the best way to get a fussy bunny eating properly is to get them neutered and bonded to another bunny. it's amazing how much more interested they are in food when they see another bunny trying to eat theirs.

:lol: Ain't that the truth.

They don't need veg in their diet to be healthy. If he is eating unlimited hay and pellets then that's what he needs to be healthy. You could use veg as a treat if he is not keen on it.

What about grass? does he like grass?

Remember to introduce things slowly to protect his gut. Sometimes some buns take a while to build up their confidence with foods so can take a while to 'take' to them.

PS- I volunteer with RSPCA Martlesham, if you decide you want a girlfriend for Marley when he is neutered then feel free to come and check us out. I'll be the one who does the home visit and stuff. Also, if you have any questions about good vets in the area, or anything at all that I might be able to help with then feel free to PM me :)

Ahhh Martlesham RSPCA, I have re homed from you before, Tilly my female bun came from you, i also donated my large gerbil tank and stand to you.
I am going to attempt bonding Marley with my already bonded pair (Tilly and Milo).
I didn't want to feed unlimited pellets, but if he won't eat his veg I may have to.
If I need help I will be sure to talk to you, I use Christchurch vets and have found them pretty good, Marley was neutered on Wednesday.
Thankyou

he looks like a nethie also quite similar to my rosie nethie :) ? nethies are often quite nervous and very fussy. Just make sure that he has access to good quality hay all day every day and feed him a small (egg cup full) of pellets in the morning and try giving him a small selection of veg in the evening (one type of veg only and small amounts to begin with) with perhaps another scattering of pellets in the evening. Eventually you will find something that he likes and you can build on that, introducing all new veg that he likes slowly. You can try

apple
carrot
bananna
parsley
grass (if he does not already have access)
brocolli
spring greens
dandilions
other herbs

which are all quite tempting for bunnies.

The bunny in the photo is Milo who I rehomed from Angie,
Marley is a Harlequin dwarf lop, He doesn't like any of the food you mentioned except spring greens, He has just been neutered and I am planning to attempt bonding him with my already bonded pair. They have been living side by side for a while now.

Ahhh Martlesham RSPCA, I have re homed from you before, Tilly my female bun came from you, i also donated my large gerbil tank and stand to you.
I am going to attempt bonding Marley with my already bonded pair (Tilly and Milo).
I didn't want to feed unlimited pellets, but if he won't eat his veg I may have to.
If I need help I will be sure to talk to you, I use Christchurch vets and have found them pretty good, Marley was neutered on Wednesday.
Thankyou

Cool :) How long ago did you rehome Tilly? I've only been there since Jan 08, so that was probably before my time.

You don't need to feed unlimited pellets, in fact,that would be very unhealthy. Unlimited hay is the way forward, and just a small amount of pellets to give them the vitamins and minerals they need.

Cool :) How long ago did you rehome Tilly? I've only been there since Jan 08, so that was probably before my time.

You don't need to feed unlimited pellets, in fact,that would be very unhealthy. Unlimited hay is the way forward, and just a small amount of pellets to give them the vitamins and minerals they need.

Yes I got Tilly before you were there.
He is getting unlimited hay and limited pellets at the moment, so will just keep trying him on the veg,

brandy is a bit fussy he only eats brocolli carrots and kale, Just tried him on brussel sprouts but he just turned his nose up at me. I think he i slightly annoyed though he was a bit on the tubby side so vet told me to take him off the dry food and just give him unlimited hay and some veg,so hoping he will try the brussels when he has forgiven me :lol:

Back