• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'd like you all to meet George the horse

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
He is a 14.3hh/15hh 9 year old standarbred gelding, originally bred for harness racing, won a few races but lost his competetive streak so retired early.
I am part loaning him up until January and then I am deciding wether I want to buy him or not (I think I already know the answer :oops: )
I am having a lesson on him tomorrow with an instructor I've never met before...should be fun :lol: my instructor is coming down in the next week or so to take a look at him and have a ride, she is good with checking legs etc (he needs that especially as he is an ex-racer) I WILL HAVE HIM 5 STAGED VETTED IF AND WHEN I BUY HIM

10833_186399872462_599377462_3788430_6779160_n.jpg

10833_186399877462_599377462_3788431_6296158_n.jpg

10833_186399882462_599377462_3788432_139453_n.jpg

ETA he needs his mane pulling!!

Last edited:
:D
He has almost broken out of his habit of pacing rather than trotting (he was trained to when he was trained to race, it's an extra gait which horses such as standardbreds have :D ) it feels funny going from trot to pace to canter and back to pace then walk :lol:

I was just about to say he isnt pacing in the pics! Must feel funny when he does that!!! You should learn how to drive he'd look really smart in harness too, bet he'd be a great at horse driving trials! He's beautiful, how exciting for you. hope your lesson goes well tomorrow.

I'd be awful at driving :lol: at the moment he is still being brought on in ridden work, his jumping needs work :)
His fave thing is to go for a canter on the race track behind the stables...once I get to know him abit better we'll go for a blast up there :D I only started loaning him on Tuesday lol :oops:

I'd be awful at driving :lol: at the moment he is still being brought on in ridden work, his jumping needs work :)
His fave thing is to go for a canter on the race track behind the stables...once I get to know him abit better we'll go for a blast up there :D I only started loaning him on Tuesday lol :oops:

Oh id love to take winston to a race track!!! Just take things slowly and build up a repore with him, its so lovely when you have that special relationship and trust. :D

Just a note, he deffinitely does not need his mane pulling.... :lol:
Hate pulled manes! Long manes are beautiful :love:

Oh no i like pulled manes on thoroughbred looking horses, long manes arent practical for a working horse, they get too hot ;)

I don't like long manes :oops:
If he could carry it off he'd be hogged..but he would look quite weird with a mohawk :lol:

I don't want it really short, but it keeps getting tangled in the rein buckles lol (not as much as the gypsy cob i ride though :lol: )

I agree with you Hetty! Don't pull - leave it long! He's lovely Beth - bet I know what you're going to do in January :lol::lol:

He is stunning, best looking ex-pacer I've ever seen :D :love: The ex-pacers I've seen still loved to pace too much (depsite how comfy it is! :lol:) not ideal when trying to jump though :shock: Can't say I want to try it again hehe. You look fantastic together!

just thought i'd mention that isn't me riding :oops: They are the pictures his owner sent me, but I am having a lesson on him today so will get some pictures :D

Seems he's not being clipped this year if his neck gets too sweaty I'd consider pulling but I might just leave it for now :)

Gah I think there's nothing worse than a hogged mane!!!
I'd deffinitely still leave it long. They're lovely and more natural ;)

Back