• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I do with a very unsociable rabbit?

Hi. I have a male dwarf lop. I have had him now about 3 years, but he has always been very unsociable. I have tried to stroke him and pick him up for a cuddle, but he always runs away. Now he has started grunting at me and stomping with his back feet. He obviously doesnt want to be touched, is there anything i can do? Or is it just his nature, Just I obviously don't want a rabbit that i can't handle,

Many Thanks in advance. :)

If he is castrated he may chill a bit if you get him a friend.

If you go to a rescue then you could pick one that is already speyed and is definately friendly. Even if he doesn't chill he will be happier with a friend and you will have one you can snuggle :D

Hi, yes he has been castrated. The vet said that he would calm down after being castrated, but it has made no difference. I did get him another bunny, but all he wanted to do was chase her and bite her, so i had to get rid of her(poor little girl). The only think is, i dont know if i had him re-homed, if anyone would want a rabbit that they cant touch. He has always been the same, from when i first got him,

thank you.

Unfortunately patience is the key, both with bonding with a rabbit and a human.

The chasing you saw was normal, over time it would have died down. Given them time (and neutral territory) they could have been very much in love :(

He needs to learn to trust you. Could you make him a house rabbit? Spending more time around you and letting him come to you - NOT you to him will most likely help. Rabbits are very sociable and inquisitive and given time he will most likely come around.

Alternatively, if you genuinely dont want him, please dont offer him free to a good home on the internet/papers as he could end up anywhere. PM a mod on here and rehome through this website.

Give him another go though, read through this forum for more advice, offer him nice bits of food and slowly build up to giving him nose rubs - DO NOT try to pick him up and cuddle him. Most rabbits hate being picked up as they think a bird has caught them - It's natural ;)

Thanks for your help. I think i may have to get rid of him. There is no chance i could have him as a house rabbit, as its not my house, i live with my dad. Also i work all day every day, and he might be better suited to someone that has the time for him. I will PM one of the mods and see if they can rehome him. Thank you.

most rabbits don't like being cuddled so he is probably just telling you to stop! i think with time and patience, letting him come over to you, sitting with him and talking gently to him, offering him food from you etc, may help him trust that you aren't going to try and cuddle him, and may help you two bond.

my two are so friendly and tame, but when i pick them up to give them their meds i get a thump afterwards! :lol:

maybe building up his trust with you first and then finding him a partner might be best?

i think when you have a pet you can't just not want it because it isn't how you want it to be. it takes time and patience. i think now you know how to go about things the right way, he will soon settle and then be ready for a partner to keep him company and i am sure will be much more settled and happy. don't give up on him, he is just acting naturally.

good luck anyway. :wave:

:)I have had him in the house today, I have just left him running around the floor in the living room. I have bought his litter tray in and he also has a blanket with his bowl and a treat on. He keeps running over to the blanket and sniffing it, hee hee. Every time I walk past him he stamps his feet, but he is fine with my boyfriend, Strange rabbit. Ha ha. Lets hope he might get better. I will keep you updated

Good news :) I'm glad he's being a little friendlier.

I don't know if this will help, but my bun really didn't like my oh for a while. I think that this was mostly because he didn't spend much time with her, and generally when he did he would expect to be able to pick her up for a cuddle and be able play with her/stroke her etc. Whilst he was well meaning, I believe that she interpretted his behaviour as being quite intimidating. She would thump her feet and look very distressed/annoyed when he went near her :(

Anyhoo, he has recently been spending more time with her just sitting in the room with her and giving her nibbles of veg etc. She is getting a lot better with him now and will come over for strokes/nose rubs etc.

I really think that patience is key and totally agree with the posts above - we have tried this approach and it really does work. Just let him approach you in his own time, and try to keep the interactions between you and him positive (healthy treats will help here). I'm sure he will become a cuddlier bunny in time!

Good luck! :D

while most rabbits can become human friendly some are rabbits rabbits and only like the company of other rabbits.
Rabbits do have individual personalities and he may just not have liked ;)the girl you brought to him.

Have you thought of "speed dating" :love:him at a rescue? They may also offer to bond him with the new girl he choses for you.

You would also know he had company when you are at work then:).

If you still want to keep him as a single rabbit do persevere as most rabbits will come round in time.
Remember they often stamp as a sign of danger so it may be that he's scared?
good luck-sue:wave:

Back