• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella's fur on her back... -PICTURE ADDED-

...seems to be having what I assume is a problem. In the fur there's bits of white things which I have a feeling is either her skin or something like that. Since I've had her, which has now been for 2 years, around this time of the year she looses some fur which I assume is her getting her winter coat to help protect her against the cold and horrible weathers we have. A few days ago I noticed on her back when I stroke with my hand going down her back, there are lumps and when I move her fur to try and see what they are, it looks like just her normal fur but with lots and lots of white things in it. I do try to gently get them off her but I'm not sure if it hurts her or not so I try and do it carefully and it doesn't seem like they go. Does this sound like a serious problem or sound like what anyone of you may have experienced?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Diana xx

It sounds like mites to me.Called Citaedella (SP) AKA walking dandruff.
To treat,one needs a vet to prescribe Xeno450 and to be put on 3x for 6 weeks.
Dont get confused with Xenex whuch Ive heard is frightful and can have really bad side affects.
Dont try and get the stuff out as it may make her sore.
Bless her little heart.Hope it gets sorted.xx
(vet will see under microscope) but one of my buns had these little darlings.

A vet appointment would be a good idea, but I know you don't have transport, so you might want to treat her with Ivermectin in the meantime. You can buy boxes of Beapher ivermectin for about £5 in Pets at Home.

Let me know if you have trouble getting some, because I *might* have a bottle of ivermectin kicking about at home. Can't check atm because I'm at work, then I've got a vets appointment tonight

Oh no not mites! I had a hamster who died from them nasty things! And yes, the white things does look like dandruff, I just didn't know how to explain it properly. What if I do put that Ivermectin on it but it doesn't do anything or there even mites?

Diana xx

Just looked up what it could be that Bella has on Google and found a picture thats exactly like it but note, this is NOT Bella.

sbrjlt.jpg

What do I do now I know what it is? How could she have got this?

It can be caused by stress or *possibly* from her bedding.

I would take her to the vet for a check up/

Yes it looks literally exactly like that picture. Could she die from it? I've just read on the internet that I cannot use Ivermectin as that's dangerous for small animals and should only be injected into suffering dogs only, does that mean I cannot use that? Oh, I hate things being wrong with Bella :(

Yes it looks literally exactly like that picture. Could she die from it? I've just read on the internet that I cannot use Ivermectin as that's dangerous for small animals and should only be injected into suffering dogs only, does that mean I cannot use that? Oh, I hate things being wrong with Bella :(

Ivermectin is fine for rabbits. It's dangerous for cats though, so you must make sure that Bella doesn't come into contact with your cat for a while after treatment

I would get it first thing in the morning.

It will be itchy like people having headlice.

If not treated, it will get worse, and her fur will start to come out due to excessive scratching.

I would get her to the vet asap, Beau had mites and he chewed it til it got really saw, he had little sores all over his body, it took weeks for them to heal, and the pain made him start to go off his food, and he could have gone into stasis. It felt really awful that something so little could make him so ill, if I'd realised what it was and got treatment sooner

Oh right ok, thanks for telling me that. With money problems at the moment with my sister dropping out of college, it's slightly a bit difficult at the moment but it's my number 1 priority.

It only costs around £20 at the vet. If left, secondary problems can arise.

In my honest opinion, i think you need to think about putting some money away each week, as this is not the first time treatment has been put off due to money.

It only costs around £20 at the vet. If left, secondary problems can arise.

In my honest opinion, i think you need to think about putting some money away each week, as this is not the first time treatment has been put off due to money.

Ok. And I know that, too. I feel so bad that things happen like this and although it isn't my fault I'm taking full responsibility for them.

Back