• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh NO! Niece getting a rabbit!

crysta

Alpha Buck
You heard me, my 10 year old niece is getting a rabbit.

The "oh no" comes from the fact that she had a hamster and the novelty wore off in about two weeks.

What do you reckon my chances are of getting her and her mum to get a decent hutch, a good run, proper food and convincing them to get a rescue rabbit rather than an OMGcuteandfluffy baby bunny from a shop?

And more to the point, how long before I end up with this rabbit when the novelty wears off again? :roll:

Wouldn't THAT be a good one - I take in a bunny showing great CHARITY to it, and it can join the other two for the full set of Faith, Hope and Charity.

:lol:

Thats what I meant!!
Just keep an eye...You know your neice and her mum as far as influencing them are concerned.
Best of luck....Id be interested to know if you get your full set!!!:wave:

I too would suggest educating them about it, the mother and the duaghter and going with the aim to put them off. If she still isn't put off then maybe she will do a good job.

I'm intending on going round there and chatting about it and explaining what they need to do and how much work it is.

If they insist on getting a bun I'll insist on going with them to buy the stuff for it, at least then I can make sure it gets a decent sized hutch etc. I'm going to try and push for them to adopt a bun rather than buy a petstore one too if they are really set on getting a bun.

Luckily I'm the bunny smart-backside in the family so I should have enough clout to make a difference, hopefully. :lol:

I'm intending on going round there and chatting about it and explaining what they need to do and how much work it is.

If they insist on getting a bun I'll insist on going with them to buy the stuff for it, at least then I can make sure it gets a decent sized hutch etc. I'm going to try and push for them to adopt a bun rather than buy a petstore one too if they are really set on getting a bun.

Luckily I'm the bunny smart-backside in the family so I should have enough clout to make a difference, hopefully. :lol:

You could go to P@H. All their hutches are a decent size apart from 2 I think. I of which states it's for guinea pigs and the other for a pair of guinea pigs/single rabbit. You will be there to advise so they won't have be getting a hutch for a single bunny I'm sure. You could also see what's in the adoption centre so you can be sort of getting a rescue bun.

You could go to P@H. All their hutches are a decent size apart from 2 I think. I of which states it's for guinea pigs and the other for a pair of guinea pigs/single rabbit. You will be there to advise so they won't have be getting a hutch for a single bunny I'm sure. You could also see what's in the adoption centre so you can be sort of getting a rescue bun.

There's a nethie in the P@H adoption at the moment, so if she's absolutely insisting on getting a little bun and won't go to the Tameside Guinea Pig & Rabbit Rescue I'll probably press for her to adopt him.

Thing is this bloomin' rabbit's going to have to live outside because they've got an insane poodle that would eat it if it was inside, so I've got my lecturing work cut out! :lol:

I do the kind of opposite, I tell all my family to get rabbits, then go on about all their needs. This always seems to deter them :lol:

There's a nethie in the P@H adoption at the moment, so if she's absolutely insisting on getting a little bun and won't go to the Tameside Guinea Pig & Rabbit Rescue I'll probably press for her to adopt him.

Thing is this bloomin' rabbit's going to have to live outside because they've got an insane poodle that would eat it if it was inside, so I've got my lecturing work cut out! :lol:

Maybe get a bunny thats a bit easier to catch! I find most netherlands very nippy (as in fast) indeed! (not all though)

Hope your lecturing works! :) Good on you!

Last edited:
Maybe get a bunny thats a bt easier to catch! I find most netherlands very nippy (as in fast) indeed! (not all though)

Hope your lecturing works! :) Good on you!

My neighbours nethie is like that, a complete and utter nightmare :roll:

It bites you, it hates being picked up, and he is always filthy (I think it's due to the food).

Their little girl thinks the world of him though :)

Well that's a good thing. Though I can just see that some people would give up with a rabbit they couldn't catch, and since with some children its an impulse buy and the bunny phase is soon grown out of, I can hardly think a bunny with such a temperament would help.

Crysta, I don't want to put you off any bunny, I'm just trying to think what would help in getting your neice to love and adore this bunny for as long as it may live! I would happily have a netherland dwarf myself before anyone thinks I am favouring certain breeds! I :love: all bunnies so it wouldn't make the slightest difference to me! :love::love:

Well that's a good thing. Though I can just see that some people would give up with a rabbit they couldn't catch, and since with some children its an impulse buy and the bunny phase is soon grown out of, I can hardly think a bunny with such a temperament would help.

Crysta, I don't want to put you off any bunny, I'm just trying to think what would help in getting your neice to love and adore this bunny for as long as it may live! I would happily have a netherland dwarf myself before anyone thinks I am favouring certain breeds! I :love: all bunnies so it wouldn't make the slightest difference to me! :love::love:

I appreciate it. I just know that they won't have a house rabbit and the only other rescue buns in P@H are giants of some kind. If she gets one of those in a 6ft hutch... :shock:

With any luck it will be moot as I will be able to talk them into going to Elaine's rescue in Tameside and getting a bun from there - the fact that I'm the resident family taxi might aid my argument here! :lol:

I appreciate it. I just know that they won't have a house rabbit and the only other rescue buns in P@H are giants of some kind. If she gets one of those in a 6ft hutch... :shock:

With any luck it will be moot as I will be able to talk them into going to Elaine's rescue in Tameside and getting a bun from there - the fact that I'm the resident family taxi might aid my argument here! :lol:

True that!:lol:

Back