• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello

ollbun

New Kit
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum, but have had bunnies for more than 4 years now. I started with 2 male lionheads (bought before I realised there were so many rescue centres around!). Spotty (black and white lionhead) and Muppet (fawn lionhead) lived together happily until they were neutered, when they decided that actually they hated each other! Possibly they blamed each other for the neutering experience?! As it turned out that worked out quite well because only a few days before they went for their little op I found a dutch bunny wandering along the side of the road on my way to see my horse at a local livery yard. I picked her up and to cut a long story short decided to keep her - she tugged on our heart strings (even though my husband maintains he is not interested in buns - he is actually the one who insisted we keep her!) as she was very thin, dirty and obviously scared. 10 days later we found out the reason for her wanderings - when she gave birth to 6 little kits in her hutch in our garage (where she was being kept in quarantine away from the two lionheads)!
It was extremely nerve wracking suddenly having the responsibility for 6 babies but luckily Hobo (as she was aptly named by a friend) was a very good mum. My husband was aghast at the idea of 6 more rabbits so the agreement was we would rehome 5 of the kits - keeping Hobo and one female to pair with the two (now neutered) lionheads. However, at 5 weeks old one of the kits - Nibs, developed mucoid enteritis and after a month of hand feeding him, carrying him around on a hot water bottle, and generally fussing over him, when he decided he would live I decided I could not be parted from him. Plus, since his brother Olly had accompanied him to most of his vet visits we could not part them either so suddenly we were keeping 3 kits plus mum! We found homes for those 3 with friends and the final kit - Guinness, stayed on as Muppets partner.
So there we have it, 6 buns, 3 pairs, and all the accompanying stress and joy!

How lucky you are to have so many bunnies, and such a lovely story about how Hobo came to be with you (and some of her kits). It would be lovely to see some pictures....and finally...a bit warm welcome to RU.

Back