PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Advice needed please



daisymoo
29-10-2009, 11:26 AM
hello

I have just found my rabbit eating one of my house plants she has only taken a few chunks out of it, but i am very worried, unfortunately the plant does not have a name on it so i called the shop an they said it was a SYNGONIUM I have had a look on many list to see if it is fatal for rabbits and i really cant find anything, it is a heart like shaped green leaf with yellow marble print on it.

we are very worried and have called the vets and they have said to look out for these signs, the runs, bloated belly or not her self in general.

please if you have any advice or were i can find advice i would be so greatful

Thanks

Bex09
29-10-2009, 11:42 AM
My rabbit ate buttercups once in the garden which I found out were poisonous and I was panic stricken! But he was absolutely fine as only had a little few nibbles. Just keep a close eye on him, make sure he drinks plenty of water and eats loads of hay to flush it all out. Hope he is ok.

capel
29-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi. I'm pretty sure that the common name for this plant is Goosefoot, and I'm fairly sure that goosefoot is on the ok list.

daisymoo
29-10-2009, 12:20 PM
thanks for your replies, i have been making sure on the internet about the plants and i think we have found one which is the actual plant and the name of it is Dumbcane which is on the list :cry:

so now i am very worried, she has only taken a matter of 4 or 5 bites she did this about 10 am and is not showing any signs of anything bad at the moment, im really so worried!!

:(

daisymoo
29-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Poisonous Plants
The most dangerous plant is the Dieffenbachia or dumb cane. The Dieffenbachia only has to come in contact with an animal's mouth, tongue or throat to cause a serious reaction. Symptoms of Dieffenbachia poisoning include: mouth irritation, upset stomach, asphyxiation, tremors, seizures and death. This is obviously a plant that must be avoided if you have pets.

now i have just found this on the internet, would this be a quick thing or not?
im really scared:(

Sky-O
29-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Is that definitely the plant she ate?

I think also looking for neurological signs is worthwhile too.

I'm going to do some googling I think.

daisymoo
29-10-2009, 12:34 PM
thanks, i have been looking too I found this..

Dangerous Plants

Some plants, while not necessarily deadly, still pose a danger to your rabbit if she ingests them. Immediate veterinary care can usually reverse danger signs, but it's still crucial to keep your rabbit away from these plants at all times.

Aroid Family
(anthurium, arrowhead vine, ceriman, Chinese evergreen, cut-leaf philodendron, devil's ivy, dieffenbachia, dumb cane, elephant ears, green dragon, jack-in-the-pulpit, Mexican breadfruit, nepthytis, philodendron, pothos, skunk cabbage, taro, tri-leaf wonder)

* Toxicity Rating: Moderate. Pets may sample these commonly available plants with a nibble or two, but rarely ingest enough to cause serious problems or death. Risk increases if hungry or bored rabbits are housed near these plants.
* Dangerous Parts of Plant: Roots, leaves and stems.
* Symptoms: Mouth and throat irritation, salivation and, rarely, stomach irritation and diarrhea.
* Plant Description: All 2,000 species of this family of plants should be treated as potentially toxic. A few, such as taro (poi), are eaten after cooking eliminates the poison. Seven species of aroids occur naturally in wet areas. Jack-in-the-pulpit and skunk cabbage are the most common and best known of these. Dumb cane, pothos and philodendron are potted plants found in offices, restaurants and homes.
Aroids are perennials. Some are vines. The large net-veined leaves, which may have white or colored spots, are borne on leaf stalks that sheathe the stem. Most have simple leaves, but jack-in-the-pulpit has three-parted foliage. The aroid flower is a fleshy green, white or yellow spike borne inside a wraparound hood or bract (spathe). The fruits are brightly colored berries borne in tight clusters; they are not often produced by the house plant species.
* Signs: The plant cells contain needlelike crystals of insoluble calcium oxalate that penetrate the skin and mouth, causing discomfort. In addition, these plants contain proteolytic enzymes that release histamine and kinins, causing swelling and an itching or burning sensation. An affected rabbit will shake her head or paw or rub her face and mouth. She may salivate or foam at the mouth, seek water or have visible swelling. Severely affected rabbits may experience oral swelling to the point that swallowing and breathing become impaired. Typically, rabbits are not severely affected, since a few bites of an aroid plant often deter further consumption. Occasional reports of these plants causing kidney failure in rabbits exist but have not been verified. Effects in rabbits appear to be limited to the signs described above. Some of these plants have been used by humans to prevent individuals from talking by causing excessive tongue swelling; hence comes the name "dumb cane."
* First Aid: For minor irritation, provide supportive care and prevent further exposure. For more severe signs, if the rabbit does not improve within a few minutes or if swallowing or breathing is impaired, consult a veterinarian immediately.
* Prevention: Rabbits should not be allowed to consume these plants. Remove the dangerous plant from the rabbit's environment.

Sky-O
29-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I think that's a completely different family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syngonium This is the family of plants yours is from.

On this list it says it is toxic, but this is for all animals. http://www.sniksnak.com/plants-toxic.html

Goosefoot is safe on this list http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

This one says Syngonium is goosefoot http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_583a.html

So I woud go with it being safe for rabbits but push the hay today and give nothing else. She will also need lots of fluids.

daisymoo
29-10-2009, 12:41 PM
The yellow on the leaves are more of a marble effect than lines, she seems happy enough, she has gone tired now but that is how she gets at this time in the day, the leaf she nibbled on was fully green with no yellow, reading all different things on the internet is really quite worrying!

thanks so much for helping me,
:(

Bex09
29-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I am sure she will be fine, but just keep a close eye on her and if she shows any ill effects take her straight to the vets.

daisymoo
29-10-2009, 01:13 PM
thanks bex, i am just watching her every move, and wondering is she ok, she seems fine, her ears are up i am just worring that it is going to take a while for the side effects to kick in, its been two hours, she isnt drinking much and she hasnt eaten much, but she is usually just chilling out, i would never forgive myself if anything happened to her