• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxo vacc administered wrongly?

confusedman

Mama Doe
Toda I've been to the vet with Fanta & George. The vet checked them and said everything was allright.
He administered the Myxo vac in one go under the skin so I dont know if this was done properly.
I wasnt confident enough to say anything because of my English and because I couldnt remember which one (Myxo or VHD) was supposed to be done in two parts.
DO you think I have to say something to the vet when I go back for the VHD one?

The datasheet for the vaccine (the official legal document telling you about it) says that for best protection, 0.1ml of the vaccine should be given in the skin (intradermally).

Some vets do this when putting the needle into or out of the main injection site, but this can be tricky. The datasheet suggests using the skin at the base of the ear for this part of the injection.

On that basis, I don't think it would hurt to ring your vets and say you've been told that part of the vaccine should be given in the ear, and did they do this in another way instead.

The datasheet is here if you want to see exactly what it says: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html

The datasheet for the vaccine (the official legal document telling you about it) says that for best protection, 0.1ml of the vaccine should be given in the skin (intradermally).

Some vets do this when putting the needle into or out of the main injection site, but this can be tricky. The datasheet suggests using the skin at the base of the ear for this part of the injection.

On that basis, I don't think it would hurt to ring your vets and say you've been told that part of the vaccine should be given in the ear, and did they do this in another way instead.

The datasheet is here if you want to see exactly what it says: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html

Wawwwwwwwwwww I am impressed!! Thanksssss!! :D

I think I am emailing him. What do you think about this??/

"Please FAO to _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _
Dear Sir,
Ive been to your clinic this evening with my rabbits Fanta & George for the Myxo vaccination.
I was told this vaccination has to be done in a particular way so it becomes effective and a part of it has to go on the base of the ear.
Please check
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html
As it dindt seem to me you did that, I am a bit worried about this matter.
I dont mean to be rude so please dont misunderstand my query.
We felt very well treated in this first visit to your clinic but we are a bit concerned about Myxomatosis as we are hearing about a rise of this illness among vaccinated rabbits.
Thanks in advance for you help.

confusedman

I think I am emailing him. What do you think about this??/

"Please FAO to _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _
Dear Sir,
Ive been to your clinic this evening with my rabbits Fanta & George for the Myxo vaccination.
I was told this vaccination has to be done in a particular way so it becomes effective and a part of it has to go on the base of the ear.
Please check
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html
As it dindt seem to me you did that, I am a bit worried about this matter.
I dont mean to be rude so please dont misunderstand my query.
We felt very well treated in this first visit to your clinic but we are a bit concerned about Myxomatosis as we are hearing about a rise of this illness among vaccinated rabbits.
Thanks in advance for you help.

confusedman

Thats a good e-mail!

My vet gives the 10% intradermally at the same site and is so quick you wouldn't know they had done it. If you are unsure just ask I'm sure they'll be happy to put your concerns to rest.

Yes mine always have a bit in the ear too

Also just to say I think your English is really good and I wouldnt have noticed it wasnt your first language if I hadnt seen you comment on it on another thread

Yes mine always have a bit in the ear too

Also just to say I think your English is really good and I wouldnt have noticed it wasnt your first language if I hadnt seen you comment on it on another thread

AAHAHAHH thanks.....
It's not really good believe me and my speaking was labelled as "awful" by my last teacher!!! :oops::D

I have already emailed the vet. Let's see what he says... I hope Im not upseting him by doing this....

Last edited:
Mine had theirs just done in the scruff of the neck too? Though he seemed to do one bit deeper and one bit less deep. :?

Some vets choose to administer the 90#% of the vaccine into the scruff, and then withdraw the needle so it is between the dermis to put in the other 10%.

You would have seen him concentrate on this last bit though as it's quite difficult to do the intradermal part.

If he just scruffed the rabbit and admitted it all in one go then it has been administered wrongly and won't be as effective.

Back