• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody experienced at introducing bunnies and cats?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
My friend has had an emergency and we've had to take her ragdoll cat in for three weeks. She's been timidly padding round the house and tonight we brought Ralphy as usual on our laps. He was also settled and happy until he saw her and leapt onto the floor, panting and scared. She did nothing, just looked frightened herself (Ragdolls are classically soppy and are apparently supposed to get on with rabbits.) I tried to pick up the cat but she scratched me, then I picked up Ralph and put him back.

I feel bad for frightening these animals, but I just want them to be able to tolerate each other. Obviously I'd never leave them alone together, but I'd like to have Ralphy on my lap like every evening and the cat to just be doing her thing around the house. Is there a particular method I'm missing?

Try putting them both in carriers opposite each other. Or if you only have one, then put one in the carrier and one out and switch round.

Don't worry, all the cats round here are petfrified of Harley. He's the same size as most of them, but the speed he goes charging towards them is :shock:

If he just suddenly saw the cat it would more likely scare him that if they were introduced slowly. A cat came in our house once and Grimlock freaked out. But another time he saw one in the garden and they both slowly edged towards each other, touched noses and then the cat rolled over for him.

Take it very slowly. :)

On the first introduction to the cats, all my rabbits just charged them, and the cats know to stay out of the bunnies way.

If Lara lays/sleeps on Lola's blankets, Lola digs Lara's tail! :lol: norty bunneh.

My cat is scared of some of the buns. Rosie attacks her whereas her and Hazel always play chase round the sofa. Just introduce them gradually and things should be ok:)

Back