• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering males, older or younger?

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I'm just sitting here wondering about what age a male should be neutered.. does age make a difference?

I had Hazel, Violet and Bugs neutered after two years old, and they've calmed down, been really easy to bond, just generally been lovely.

I had Sweep and James neutered younger (Sweep around 9/10 months, James 6 months) and they've both shown aggression after neutering, despite never showing aggression before and i haven't been able to bond either of them so far :?

Is it just my bunnies or have other people had the same experience?

I think it depends on the bunny.

Badger was 7 months
Cloud was exactly 1 year
Sky was 1 year 11 months
Dawn was 5 months
Star was 5 months
Hope was 5 months
Roger was roughly 8 months
Dusk was 15 months
Angel was 2 years 3 months

Autumn is being done next week at roughly 14 weeks.

All of mine have been fine after being neutered. Cloud was huigely vicious beforehand and has now just become anxious (so anxiety was clearly driving his viciousness), but is much better.

No one else has exhibited anything bad, apart from Sky who has become a grump, but that is probably more circumstantial than his neuter.

I had both of mine done at 5 months and they have transformed back to their lovely, snuggly, well behaved buns that they were pre-hormones. They have completely stopped humping, growling, grunting and spraying!

biggles was 4 years old when he was done an recovered fine, most likely glad of less weight to carry my vet did say his plumbs were huge :lol: behaviour wise, he just stopped humping everything in sight and stopped spraying hes still loveable and snuggly

all my other buns done younger

I always go for earlier rather than later. Hormones can cause behaviour changes, & a chewing/aggressive/spraying/messy bun will only get worse if not neutered - & the behaviour becomes part of the bun & then not fixed by neutering

As far as your buns getting worse is concerned - how soon after neuter? If it was within 6 weeks, the neutering wouldn't have had time to "fix" the hormone issues - & they would've occured whether you neutered bun or not.:D

Back