• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit insurance

clarem

Warren Scout
I have my 4 rabbits insured with pet plan costing around 30 pounds a month. The policy is up for renewal and thought I'd give them a call to see what the costs were. To my horror I find I have been on a petshare policy on which the excess is 55 pounds + 25%, I asked her 25% of what and she tells me the remainder of the bill! So for a 200 pound bill, I would pay 55 excess then 25% of 145 pound. I have cancelled the policy as it doesn't seem to me much point in having it. I now though feel really guilty and am thinking what if... I have taken most of them to the vet in the last year with one thing and another (usually just a minor injury) as well as Jasmin who we lost this year (she had stasis but that is not why she died) and the bill has never been much over 55 pound so I have never claimed. What are everyones thoughts on insurance and does anyone other than petplan offer insurance for rabbits??

I think we pay £24 per month to Petplan (that's for 2 of them), because we get a multi-pet discount. I'm so glad we did insure them - this thing with Ginger would have set us back nearly £800 if we hadn't!

I've just got a quote from petplan for our two & it will cost £17.35 a month with £55 excess. They won't cover Phoebe An's dentals or anything associated with it but that's understandable :wave:

Could you not change to a different policy with petplan? Mine is a £50 excess but no percentage of the rest of the bill. I've found them helpful and they paid out for Daisy's abscess op and related treatment quickly.

my pair are with petplan on the covered for life plan and its been a godsend. £10.64 p/m per bun and £55 excess.

Alvin in his 2 years has had claims of well over £700 for stasis and now Pearl has been diagnosed with her enlarged heart she is on £20 worth of medication monthly plus the £300 of treatment before she was even diagnosed.

i say thank fook for insurance lol

I so wish I'd taken out insurance for Artie - he's cost about £1k this year and it's going to be ongoing :? The insurance sounded expensive but I really, really wish I'd have kept it last December!

Back