• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is diluted cranberry juice safe (poorly bunny)

vicki267

Mama Doe
I came home from London on Sat and Eva was off her veg, she took a few pellets off me but seemed quite down. I kept checking on her and feeding her pellets throughout the night and at 8am (it was actually 7am as I forgot the clocks had changed) I noticed she seemed in pain going to the wee. She was lifting her tail up, straining but not producing much, she was also a bit bloated.

So off we went to the vets (once again an hour too early due to the clocks) :roll: He expressed her bladder after saying it's very full. The wee was free flowing and no sludge etc. He seems to think the problem was bloat, so gave her metaclop and started her on a course of Baytril in case of infection.

She is pooping wonderfully now, and even weeing OK, but yesterday she was drenched in urine. Today she is a little better but that may be because I am constantly drying her etc.

I have had to move her away from Stevie and Bobbi as they are on laminate and the floor got soaked which they dont like, but she is back in with Alfie now on a bed of towels.

Although she is peeig, she does still seem to strain a little.

I know cranberry juice helps human urine infections, would it be worth diluting some for her?

** My mum said she noticed her drinking tonnes more than usual on Saturday.

Is she having any pain relief. Cystitis is painful.
Diluted Cranberry Juice would be OK but its debatable as too how helpful it is in cystitis in Rabbits.

Is she having any pain relief. Cystitis is painful.
Diluted Cranberry Juice would be OK but its debatable as too how helpful it is in cystitis in Rabbits.

:oops: I've perhaps been a bit naughty as he didn't seem to think it was cystitis he said no pain relief would be needed :? But I had some Metacam and have given her 5 drops yesterday and today and she seems in much less pain than before, and actually peeing properly unlike before :oops:

I lace my water with many things if I need a bunny to drink, and one of them is cranberry juice and it can go down really nicely. I've never had a problem with it with any of my buns and have been using it for a few years when needed.

Whether or not the cranberry helps rabbits is probably unknown, but if she likes it and drinks a lot, the hydration will be a hugely positive thing.

Back