• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new member, new question - teeth and kidney issues.

ollbun

New Kit
Hello all, I have viewed this forum for quite a while but this is my first post, so be gentle!
I have a question in two parts - one I have recently moved to Aberdeenshire - Inverurie to be exact, and I wondered if any forum members had any vet recommendations?
I have already registered with a vet here but I am not sure if they are the best one, thought they have been good so far.

I have a rabbit who has been losing weight for the past few weeks. He has also been drinking a lot. Consequently, when I registered at the new vet they advised a course of panacur and then a blood test - they also looked at his teeth. He is a dutch rabbit who currently weighs 2.5kg - a drop in weight from his usual 2.85kg. He has had his panacur and a blood test - which came out clear except for a slightly raised renal measure. The vet has recommended that the next course of action is a dental as she could see some small molar spurs in his mouth when she had a look. My rabbit (Olly) remains quite bright though he will refuse his pellets some days - but he continues to eat everything else (veg, herbs and hay). Obviously though something has to be done as he cant continue to lose weight like this. What I wanted to ask was - what precautions should they take if he does have some kidney issues? Should I go ahead with the dental? Does anyone have experience of a rabbit losing weight due to teeth issues? Any advice welcomed!
I am more worried than usual due to my lack of experience with this particular vets - plus i always hate it when anybun is put under for a procedure

Last edited:
If your rabbit has molar spurs this could be why he is losing weight as the spurs can grow and dig into the gum area making it difficult for a rabbit to eat. He will be eating the veg and hay as it will be easier for him to eat at the moment than the pellets.
I would certainly get the dental done first but I would think it's up to the vet to do what is most important for the rabbit at this stage.
I'm hoping someone else on this Forum will have more advice for you.

Thanks for that - I am certainly going to go ahead with the dental, it's just a question of whether I should try and get some weight on him first and how likely any kidney problems he might have would affect the anaesthetic process.
The vet is going to get some more blood from him on the day of the dental to re-check kidney function befoer he goes under - so I guess if there are any changes she will way them up against the potential benefits of the dental.
I think I am just worried because I dont know the vet very well having only been registered with them for 4 weeks - not ideal when you have to hand your precious bunny over for a procedure!

Back